Author Topic: If you are required to use a rifle....  (Read 7697 times)

Offline johnston

If you are required to use a rifle....
« on: September 09, 2012, 02:49:45 am »
I work in a shop full of hunters and every year get invited to
hunt on several leases. Sociable guy that I am, usually I accept.
If possible I take a bow but sometime that is not allowed, rifle
only.

In these cases I use a 1967 top eject Mod. '94. I get some
 frowns cause a lot of today's hunters have never used iron sights.
Always pick my shots and ain't missed yet but was just wondering....
What would you guys use?

Lane

Offline Josh B

Re: If you are required to use a rifle....
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 03:05:00 am »
A '94 with iron sights is hard to beat in the woods.  Most of the time where I hunt out here in the flatlands of ks, the shots are a little long for open sights.  In that case, I use a '98 mauser chambered in 30-06 that my grandpa and I sporterized about 20 years ago.  It has a 3 x 9 Burris  on it.  My peepers aren't what they once were so the scope helps me reach out there better.  I haven't rifle hunted for a few years though.  I should probably get the ol girl out and warm her up a bit.  Josh

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 04:33:15 am »
I hunted for years with a lever gun with iron sights.  I wish my eyes would let me now, but it doesn't go with my bifocals....     I very seldom pick a rifle up for deer anymore, but if I have to put something in the freezer, it's a scoped 30-06 bolt action. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 12:36:30 pm »
If the woods are dense(few shots over 100yds) the 30-30 is a great gun even with open sights. Sound like you know your limitations with that weapon and shoot accordingly.  Most folks have to have the fastest latest super cartridge. Nothing wrong with them (gives a good reason to buy another gun). It is when that mentality overides the need for good old fashioned shot placement and patience. I have an old 1954 model 70 in .270, love it. it is scoped but when I rifle hunted I hunted on the dry side of our state (long shots open country). My first two deer were on the wet side of Washington in dense forest and I used a model 94 30-30. btw shots were within 40yds.  just have fun and show your buddies what open sights can do with someone who knows how to use it.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 12:48:08 pm »
Lots of rifles in the closet. .22 to .375. When the shot is on the line,I take out the 1965 model 70 30.06 and go to work.It's scoped with a leupold variable power scope. (Eyes aren't what they once was) Coyotes to elk , ranges of 25 to 700 meters.
Familiarity is a prime consideration when a guy needs to make a shot. I love my lever guns and would shoot short range with them all day long. I am going to put a dot scope contraption on a little Marlin 30.30 a friend gave me and see how that goes. I look forward to it.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 02:52:47 pm »
I've done all my hunting in the last few years with bows and arrows I've built myself. I do own guns but rarely hunt with them. I've never had the opportunity to hunt open farmland. All of my hunting has been in close quarters. When I set a stand it is used for mostly bow hunting but if I decide to hunt with a rifle I use that same stand. Maybe thats why I hunt mostly with a bow and arrow. A .308 with a 3x9 variable isn't very effective at 12 to 15 years. Sure you can kill a deer at 12 yards with a .308 ....if you can find it in the scope before he sees you. I can do it with a bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cracker

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 03:49:40 pm »
I would drag out my old reliable .303 british no. 4 mk 1. I really like the rear peep sight. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 04:15:13 pm »
My rifle is a Savage 110E bolt action in .270 Winchester, with a Bushnell scope.  A very accurate gun.  It has been I think 3 years since I killed a deer with it.  Not for lack of deer, just lack of using it.  Didn't even shoot a deer last year.  I still gun hunt when I feel like it.  I have killed so many deer with my guns over the years that it is not big deal to me.  Don't get me wrong I still get very excited regardless.  If I didn't I would quit hunting all together.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 06:22:45 pm »
7mm mag ruger 3 round magazine redfield wideview scope (3-9x24) butler creek sling
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 06:30:09 pm »
Couple years ago I broke down and bought one of them new-fangled suppository loading guns (just a fad, folks will all go back to flintlocks soon enough).  It's a .243 Remmy Model 70.  Slapped a Leupold 2x7 scope on it along with Leupold rings and bases. 

I really never intended to hunt with it myself, but I have used it for Youth Mentored Hunts.  All the kids that have shot it have liked it plenty.  Very little recoil, the low power scope works great here in the Hills were long shots are still less than 100 yds.  And ammo is pretty cheap.  Not like a friend's .338 Lapua!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 06:33:28 pm »
I have an old savage lever 308 that's pretty darn accurate with a Simmons..

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 07:15:39 pm »
i use an old savage .243, but the go to gun growing up was the ol' man's pre 64 model 70 .257 roberts, man what a gun, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 09:11:01 pm »
Cipriano, my .308 is a Savage model 99E, lever action.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 10:00:46 pm »
i like my h&r 1871 buffalo classic 45/70 or myh&r ultra varmit in 243 with bsa 4x24 for open feilds
bryan irwin

Offline seabass

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 10:46:55 pm »
Pat,if you want to get rid of the 99 let me know.i am with gun doc,it all depends on where and what you are hunting.short range in the woods you can't beat a good lever gun with iron sights.out in open country,a good scoped rifle will fit the bill.a 30-06 is very versitile if you reload.if you don't,i would pick something from .243 to 308.they are mild but great deer cartriges.just my opinion.
Middletown,Ohio