Author Topic: Square edge  (Read 2337 times)

Offline StevenT

Square edge
« on: September 05, 2012, 05:05:59 pm »
Most of use know that when it comes to a flat or square edge, the best way to deal with it is to stitch it with a zigzag pattern so you have platforms and deltas to work from. I saw this picture on the internet of an ancient axe and was blown away by the straight square edge. Has anyone tried to create an edge like this? I am just wondering how the ancestors were able to work such a straight flat edge?

Offline budmenchaca

Re: Square edge
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 06:34:01 pm »
Here's a link to a Youtube video showing a guy knapping a large axe out of western baltic Senon Flint from Denmark.

He achieves a square profile much like the image you posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od1hypHEkDc

Hope you find this helpful!  8)
~Vegetarian is an Indian word for "Bad Hunter"
BUD M.
Mason, Texas

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 06:46:06 pm »
jesse wright and one other person on this site were making square edged axes as well as danish daggers for a while
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 07:04:56 pm »
I watched James Parker give Jesse some lessons on square edge danish dagger handles an man it was just totally amazing to watch. This happened at the classic which is a bow shoot not a knappin but if you go to the classic you will deffintly see some world class flintknappers ;D

Offline Whitebeam

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 07:25:35 pm »
When I met John Lord a couple of months ago he was knapping perfect cubes - 6 square edges per project - does that count? ;-)

Peter

Offline aaron

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 11:09:09 pm »
wow that is one of the most awesome square pieces i have seen! I have dabbled in this stuff and it is a real challenge. there are some good books and vids by Waldorf on the subject. For those new to the topic- square cross section flintknapping was done in scandanavia and northern europe in the late neolithic and early copper age. axe bits were knapped and then ground down until the flake scars were 99% gone, and the axe head ended up looking kinda lie a steel one we'd use today. these were used to cut down trees, etc...
similar flintknapping techniques can produce a triangular cross section too- this is seen on the handles of some daggers from the same reigon and time period.
To me it seems thaf flintknapping , by it's nature, lends itself to creating the lens- shaped cross section we all know and love- so it's mind blowing in many ways that the ancient danes chose to make square and triangular cross sections. Even more so 'cos i'm Danish American!
search this forum for a few threads oin this. Look under " danish"
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 11:31:49 pm »
I've watched James and Jesse do it, both are some of the best. I have a small reproduction Claude VanOrder did of a danish point in a museum when he was there. It is the same indirect technique but a triangle point. I'll get a picture up tomorrow.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline StevenT

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 10:33:58 am »
Thanks for the replies. I have been able to make it to the classic once (the year Nashville flooded) and hope to make it back again. I had the pleasure of watching Jesse that year do some amazing stuff. He tried to make a dagger out of a pretty large chunk of rock, but the rock had to many internal problems and he was not able to create what he was going for. But he did demonstrate the techniques he used to make a dagger. I have to agree, Jesse is one of the best.

When I saw this picture, I was just amazed at how perfectly straight and flat the edge was. Having made a few files of gravel, I admire the skill it takes to produce something like that.

Offline chief deer

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 10:57:30 pm »
Dave Waldorf is a master at these. He can get one done in a rather short amount of time. Mike