Author Topic: One of these days  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
One of these days
« on: September 08, 2012, 05:40:30 pm »
One of these days: I'm going to finish one of these bows. All of you have been a tremendous inspiration to me.
Although I've owned some very nice bows over the years I've yet to complete one of my own.
After purchasing and trading for a few selfbows which included an osage  by John Strunk, the Gilman Keasey that I posted, and a bamboo back and belly built by Bob (Bobcat) Barnes (bowaholic), I was determined  to try my own hand at what I consider an artform.
I really am on the verge of finishing one of these tree parts into a formidable weapon. I just can't get myself over that edge to finish one off.
Not that I haven't tried with lots of partial wood staves and billets saved to remind me of what went wrong.
I would have to say that the Keasey is the bow that led me to find PA and I feel fortunate to have found a site strictly dedicated to the building of primitive weapons.
I'd like to thank all of you and ask for some encouragement and help along the way. Wished I'd have started this journey at 20 instead of 60.  :laugh:

I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Lemos

Re: One of these days
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 10:35:13 pm »
Ha! So I'm not the only one who has several unfinished bows in the shop. Thanks for posting this I can now show my wife she was wrong.

Offline seabass

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 10:38:58 pm »
Fred,i started at 38.i am still not there yet.i have built a few,but nothing as good as most of the guys on here.you need to plan a trip down to the tenn. classic.we have a great time.you will meet some of the best bowyers on the planet.not only that,but they are also the best people on the planet.hopefully we will see you in the spring.btw,never give up.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 11:41:15 pm »
Lemos, you just show your wife the picture and tell her how lucky she is to have you. That's not my shop. It's my future bathroom and laundry room. It's been 3 years since last June 1st and I haven't got it finished yet. I procrastinate as much with bathrooms as I do bows.

Still using the old outhouse and hauling in water. I do have electricity and MOST modern conveniences but the well and septic aren't in yet.

The shops full of clutter and unheated/uncooled or I'd move out there and rent the living facilities out to make enough to pay for needed upgrades.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 06:57:32 pm »
Yeah, I got a touch of that disease too. 

In my case it is a form of perfectionism and a fear of failure.  If I leaves something unfinished there is a built in excuse for why it is not flawlessly perfect...it's unfinished!  I have to struggle with letting it go and just finishing the project. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 10:48:43 am »
  If you really wanted to you'd just do it. You'll never finish any if you don't get up and try. It's not that hard you just have to take that first step. If you mess up start over. I could'nt have all those unfished bows and staves setting around just to talk about. And pass on to someone when your gone.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 10:57:03 am »
Good looking bunch of stave's,I have a bunch of un finished stuff myself,I just seem to get into moods,sometimes I want to debark and chase rings,sometimes
lay one out and rough out to floor tiller and sometimes finish some up,so I have them in all stages,what ever strikes my fancy any given day is what I do. It all fun
and I have plenty of bows to shoot.  :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 09:14:31 pm »
JW hit the nail on the head!!! That's me.

I'm retired but took 2 different part time jobs and there's so much to do around here that I just can't get motivated. I'm running low on gas. I've got a well to wash down in order to put running water into the building, still hauling water and using the outhouse. Need to get the bathroom finished up but doubt it will get done before the boys take their spring vacations.

Need to side the front and back of the metal building and finish up the shop and ceilings in the living area. Got plenty of dry wood for the winter but haven't got it all split yet.

I have no more excuses. Wished I'd of started building and making bows 20 years ago. We 'll get there yet.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 11:13:27 pm »
This post made me look at my piles of unfinished projects.  I ended up finishing three of them in the last two days.  It felt pretty dang good, too I might say. 

Something that has helped me finish a project that just seems to drag itself out until kingdom come is to list the steps necessary to finish it out.  I then just knock off ONE step.  I give myself permission to let it go after making ONE step.  Sometimes I just get in the groove and finish the whole thing off, too. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.