Author Topic: Hawthorn, Apple, Serviceberry.  (Read 3102 times)

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
Hawthorn, Apple, Serviceberry.
« on: September 06, 2012, 05:32:29 pm »
Hey guys, I'm back! So far i've been working on a nice piece of hawthorn i found, an awesome apple stave, and a tiny serviceberry blank. None of these three projects are done, so as i progress with them i'll probably turn this into a small build-along or help-along as it will probably turn out if i keep up my impatience with the knife   ;). Anyway, here are some pics of my progress on the three.  ;D

Apple Stave:
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Zion

Re: Hawthorn, Apple, Serviceberry.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 05:52:26 pm »
The tiny serviceberry stave is just barely bending with all of my weight and strength. If i do get a bow out of this i'll consider myself lucky.

A pic of me 'floor tillering' (though it's bending a maximum of 2"  ;D

Offline Zion

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 06:03:32 pm »
And finally the Hawthorn. So far i'm seriously enjoying hawthorn. It seems pretty tough, yet easy to work. The reason for this is probably because the sapling i got had grown very quickly, (the conditions were ideal,) so the rings are thick. However, it's still turning out pretty good. I had to correct some side-warping so the string would line up, and it led me to realize that hawthorn heat bends pretty well. Take note that i'm not done tillering and yes i am aware that there is a hinge on the fade of the upper limb which i will correct. I attempted once to recurve the bow and it didn't keep much of the bending so i'll heat it up and try again, and let it sit a little longer on the form.

Some pics:

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 10:14:59 pm »
Nice work Zion. Once ya get that hinge fixed, that'll be one sweet bow. I've never used any of those woods, so any info is appreciated.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 07:09:28 am »
Looks like you been hard at it, get the top looking like the bottom and you will be set.Keepum coming. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline arklowrebel

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 09:14:16 am »
Great stuff Zion.  I'm really interested in how the hawthorn works out.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 10:46:11 am »
Looks like you've got some really cool projects.  Just remember with that serviceberry stave, even at ground tiller you don't want to put more force on the bow than what you'll ultimately want the draw weight to go to.  Looks like you're probably putting lots of weight on the stave in that picture.  Good luck!
1’—>1’

Offline Zion

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 01:10:07 pm »
Thanks Y'all! (Attempt at southern talk). Lately i got that hinge pretty much eliminated with just some more tiller work to do, but mostly i've been trying to add some reflex into the tips to give it more oomph. I've heat bent the wood 4 times and its keeping most of it, i might add more. Hawthorn is seriously great with dry heat/fire bending! I didn't get a single lift on the belly when i clamped it down, which i'm very surprised about that because when it comes to heat bending im a total newby. Gonna get some more of this stuff!