Author Topic: First recurve - Dangit! Chrysals!  (Read 6134 times)

Offline Matt Heppe

• Eternal Knight
First recurve - Dangit! Chrysals!
« on: September 04, 2012, 11:41:17 pm »
This is my first effort at a recurve. It is red oak backed with hickory with red oak siyahs. Tip to tip it is 64". This image is 45# @ 27". I'm planning on tillering it to draw to 30". Are there any tillering corrections that you think I need to make?

« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 12:55:59 am by Matt Heppe »
Eternal Knight: where I write about writing, do book reviews, and display my novice bows.

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: First recurve - please check my tiller
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 11:47:17 pm »
There are(to my eyes) a few very minor stiff spots, not sure if im right but IMO it looks that way.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 12:42:40 am »
This looks pretty darn good to me. I might scrape (very gently) just of the right fade. But you're doing great. An unbraced pic would be helpful.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline SA

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 01:37:12 am »
looks pretty good to me, if i was bein picky :) i would say the left limb is a hair stiff about mid limb . look forward to seeing it done those syiahs look good too.
Shawn Acker

Offline JonW

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 08:25:17 am »
Rigid or bendy handle? Either way I would work the right fade a tad to even her up. How close to draw weight are you?

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 08:34:41 am »
I see a little but of a hatf bend 6" from the left fade, and a flat spot for 8" just past that.  Hard to know wthout seeing the unstrung profile though.  Nice job, interesting design.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 08:35:19 am »
The right limb looks pretty good but it looks like the left has a couple of potential hinges with a flat spot mid limb
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 08:40:43 am »
I'm with Marc. I see that potential hinge about 6-8" towards the Fades from the Siyah with flat spots on each side of it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bambule

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 09:02:37 am »
I´m with Marc and mullet and maybe 30" draw is a bit too much for a 64" bow...
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 02:43:30 pm »
Not much I can say to improve what has already been said by some really fine Bowyers except i hope that red oak holds up for ya. I've got a feelin though that if it holds up that set will be hard to avoid.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Matt Heppe

• Eternal Knight
Re: First recurve - please check my tiller - new pics and odd tiller # result
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 09:59:36 pm »
Two pics to add. One unbraced and one braced. You can see that it has taken some set, but that's ok. I built this bow because I really wanted to try out two things I'd never done before: 1) I wanted to put siyahs on a bow, and 2) I wanted to do a lamination. I chose hickory because it is a great backing wood and red oak because I had some in the workshop. I'll have to find some better belly wood for the next one.

Tillering this bow was much different than for my flatbow/longbows. The bow was very stiff at first (the added lamination made it very thick. I had the long tillering string on with a goal of reaching 10" of movement. I had to take a lot of wood off with the rasp, but got my 10" of movement @ 50# (with a goal of 55# for the finished bow).

After 10" I gave the bow a light sanding to get the rasp marks out of it and put a low brace on it. The bow immediately pulled 47# @ 27". The caught me very off guard. After so much work to get just 10" of movement with the long tiller string, the braced bow went almost to my draw length underweight. What could be the cause of this? Did the leverage of the siyahs affect the draw weight, making it draw easier as the string was pulled back? Or am I imagining things and should be more careful next time?

I have some room to play and hope to end up at 28" @ 45#. I should be able to work out the tillering flaws. I really like the bow and will repeat the design again. I'll have finished pics by the weekend (I hope). I haven't decided how I want to finish it.

Eternal Knight: where I write about writing, do book reviews, and display my novice bows.

Offline sharpend60

Re: First recurve - new pics and odd tiller # result
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 01:15:57 am »
Recurves have a high pre-load, so to speak.
Or higher early draw weight.

So the bow seems much heavier, at brace, than it actually is.
An easy mistake with reflexed designs.

I often second guess when to put it on the short string.
I tend to short string fairly early, spending alot of time getting the thickness dialed in first.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:45:08 pm by sharpend60 »

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 07:24:05 am »
What sharpend said,very easy to miss judge the weight on a highly re flexed bow,I try and get it braced as soon as possible. I use a tiller stick on my bows instead of a tiller tree until I get them ready for brace so as soon as I can stretch a string across tip to tip and all looks even I will brace it to a low brace especially if it has a lot of reflex. That one is really looking good. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 07:41:44 am »
It's all been said already pretty much.
if you insist on going to 30" I'd suggest making it bend through the handle a tad.
Or maybe put some slightly longer siyahs on it. (25" siyahs will get you there no prob  >:D )
Del
(Looks V nice btw)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Matt Heppe

• Eternal Knight
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 12:51:41 pm »
Thanks for all the tips and info. I did some scraping and sanding and the bow ended up at 46# @ 28" with 1.75 inches of set. It is under the goal weight of 50-55# but I now have a better understanding of how to work with a recurved bow. I decided not to go for 30" draw as it is not a good length for me.

Now I need to find a string. With the siyahs I need much larger loops than you have for a longbow. Hopefully I can communicate what I'm looking for with a string maker.

I saw a beautiful black and gold Turkish bow on paleoplanet. If I get my courage up I might try a poor man's copy.  I'll post it when it's do e.