Author Topic: Need advice on a layout  (Read 1418 times)

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

Need advice on a layout
« on: September 04, 2012, 04:39:34 am »
Hello PA friends-
      I am about to start on a new hackberry selfbow. I have a stave that I have been sitting on for about two years now and think its time to turn this beautiful chuncker into an arrow slinging bow. Now this is the first time I am working with this type of wood and want to make a shorty bow... somewhere around 60 ttt and about 45-50 pounds.

One question though... When laying this bow out do I need to follow the center of the crown. There is a slight bend in the stave in the middle so I can't make a straight line tip to tip (BUT) went I lay it across the crown I get it to line up correctly. Is this crossing of the crown ok or do you truly need to stay in the middle so that the radius on the back is equal. If a picture is needed I will certainly throw one up. I think I did an alright job at explaining my issue.... Thanks again guys for all your advice and help along the way. My projects wouldn't come out nearly as well as they do without you all.

Justin (New Hampshire)

Offline dwardo

Re: Need advice on a layout
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 05:38:07 am »
You got it right first time ;)
It is important to follow the grain so keeping to the middle is your best bet. If the string does not bisect the handle you can correct it later with steam or heat.

Offline Badly Bent

Re: Need advice on a layout
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 08:48:37 am »
I agree with Dwardo, plus hackberry corrects easily with heat or steam so you should be able to get it all in line. Good luck.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.