Author Topic: bamboo????  (Read 4243 times)

Offline butch

bamboo????
« on: September 20, 2007, 10:34:24 pm »
howdo i prepare bamboo for backing. young plants or mature. dtrying technique. split it. ?????   butch

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: bamboo????
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 11:47:29 pm »
Butch, You want mature bamboo for backings. If you have a pole(round) I would split it in half to dry. Place it in full sunlight to get the nice tan color.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline butch

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 02:44:57 am »
thanks pat, but then what? i presume to crush the 1/2 round to flat. do i sand my bow rough or smooth for tb2. should the backing be 1 piece covering the back full length for a handle bow or do i leave the handle clean and can i mix the fibers like makeing a string.?? never been on this mountain before. not shure i know up from down. call 911.  butch is confused!!   

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 10:06:33 am »
Split the halfs in half and then reduce, from the belly side, until it is 1/8" at the crown at the handle. From there you  can taper to the limb tips. If you are using TB glue, you want flat gluing surfaces.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline snedeker

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 03:00:22 pm »
I'll throw in a little more, since I remember being confused about this too. Pole diameter for good backing is 3" and up.  I cut out pieces with a saber saw.  Make it a little wider than your bow width.  I start out by clamping the strip to a work bench and thinning it down some with a big, very soarse rasp.  Using long, sweeiping, diagonal strokes to minimize snagging and splitting the boo.  Now, your sharp guys have a table belt sander to take it down, but I use a hand 3" belt sander.  I have taken to using 24 grit belts to save time, but you might want to stick with 40 grit.  Finish with finer.  I sand the whole thing down pretty thin, toward 1/8", then I mark a prelim taper to narrow the ends - maybe leave 3/4" wide for glue up.  Then thin downs the ends of the strip to a bit thinner than the center.

You'll want to use a form for glue up- can be pretty simple.  A 2x4 will do, with cleats put on the rest the handle on, adn props to lift the tips into reflex.  Helps to wrap tape around during clamp up - foot intervals.  Put a clamp every 3" or so, use bits of wood or something to pad top of boo.  After glue un and general bow shape-up, I hit the nodes with some 60 grit hand sand paper, just a bit.  Don't want to disturb those fibers too much cause they are the weak point of boo. 

Dave

Rich Saffold

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 08:05:42 pm »
Butch, one important thing to consider is that some green, or freshly cut bamboos will warp in crazy ways if split or quartered.. If I was in a hurry to use a certain pole, I'd bust out the node walls with a broom pole and put the bamboo in a place with good circulation..LIke outside on a sunny windy day..

Also planks of bamboo can be ordered from various vendors, and are cheap considering the time and effort involved in the process.

Rich-bamboo slayer ;)

MattE

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 09:16:23 am »
Make sure your bamboo is completely dry before spliting. If split green it will curl on you. I would cut green bamboo to a bit over desired length then knock out the node partitions then let dry. This will help to ward off cracks that generally occur.