Author Topic: My first Arrows.. Bone points and some hafting questions  (Read 1702 times)

Offline driftingrz

My first Arrows.. Bone points and some hafting questions
« on: September 03, 2012, 09:22:10 pm »
I used the garden stake buildalong for the most part but didnt want to use duplex nails. so eventually i decided on the cowbone.. femur i think. i buy these as dog chews and have enough bones to make a few dozen points.. i used some artificial sinew i had from old leather projects to do my wrapping.. all soaked in superglue.. the 1 arrow i did finish flew straight and survived the target and a bunch of shots in the dirt diggin holes and skipping across the yard

i did have a hard time hafting the point.. anybody got any videos or tutorials for traditional hafting of points that they can link me to? i eventually got it on and straight wrapped and soaked and its solid now. and im happy with it there just gonna be some beater arrows for the target and maybe squirrels and groundhogs around the house

they are a 2 feather fletch.. just so i could conserve the fletchings i DO have..

Offline TRACY

Re: My first Arrows.. Bone points and some hafting questions
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 09:58:21 pm »
Looks like they turned out just fine for you. If you cut a slot in the end of the Tonkin  that will receive the bone point and then use the art sinew and glue to haft it up.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 01:13:47 am »
Real nice, they look a lot like my first batch.
-Billy
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 08:41:45 am »
Nice arrows and look to be hitting the mark, thats the most important job an arrow has. Well done.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.