Author Topic: Tillering Process  (Read 3649 times)

Offline bow101

Tillering Process
« on: October 30, 2012, 08:56:51 pm »
Tillering a bow is definitely the most humbling experience for me when it comes to bow building.
Just basically finished tillering a board bow today "no Photos yet" ............................
One thing I have learned is when taking off material and tapering the limb tips, the last 10-12 inches of the limbs must have a "Whip Action to them" so to speak, Ah yes very light.
I noticed in a lot of Photographs that most guys have the tips down to the size of a pencil..!

And the other no brainer is when holding the bow it seems like the tips do not even exist, the only weight I feel is mostly in the riser. Hopefully this bow will work out, it's the 3rd. one I built. :)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: Tillering Process
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 09:20:01 pm »
Using the term "whip" might raise some eyebrows, as it refers to a bow that has too much limb movement in the last 10-12".  Some say nothing wrong with a little whip-action, but I would say most prefer stiff outer tips.  But yes, your point about making the outer limb narrow is something a lot of new bowyers don't do in my opinion.  Mass at the tips not only relates to slower arrow speed, it also adds to handshock.  Make the last 10-12" narrow, but leave them thicker, to reduce mass and keep the tips slightly stiffer.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 09:21:34 pm »
tillering is bow making. The key to bowmaking is

Take wood away from stiff spots, leave spots that bend too much alone while at the same time bringing the bow to the specific weight at the specific draw.

A lot of members here leave the last few inches stiff. I still dont understand the merit to it but i do it because it is convenient not to have to rasp where the string rests so close to the nocks.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 11:26:02 pm by Dictionary »
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 11:22:10 pm »
DON'T QUITE UNDERSTAND...................................The key to bowmaking is.......dum dum dum

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 11:26:24 pm »
DON'T QUITE UNDERSTAND...................................The key to bowmaking is.......dum dum dum

I fixed it for you so you could understand my meaning.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 11:56:47 pm »
You can leave the last 6" or so stiff. It helps to raise string tension and also to lessen the string angle at draw. Which in turn creates a smooth F/D curve.
The opposite of 'whipy'.

Most folk on this site do it because it makes for a nice shooting bow.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 10:15:33 am »
There are some buildalongs on my  site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 11:16:32 am »
Experience really does come into play with the tips of the bow.  I'm still making mine too thick for high performance, but they are getting smaller and smaller.  There is something to be said about durability leaving them thicker or with a "native style" bow, but when it comes to making a hot rod...

I'm continuously amazed at how thin tips are on bows that are made by seasoned veterans, while not being "whip" tillered.
1’—>1’

Offline bow101

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 02:27:50 pm »
As I quoted previously "Ah yes very light." is probably what I mean to say not the tips been like a "whip"  :laugh: