Author Topic: Question about type of sinew to use  (Read 6129 times)

Offline Titan_Bow

Question about type of sinew to use
« on: September 26, 2007, 05:16:38 pm »
I have a mulberry stave that I cut early this year, and am planning on a building a 56-58" reflexed flatbow with recurved tips.  I have never made a sinew bow,  but I've been reading alot about it and think I'm ready to try it.  However, I was wondering what type of sinew is the best to use.  I found this website, www.hideandfur.com and they have deer, emu, elk, and moose sinew.  It is sold by backstrap, front leg, and rear leg packages.  My question is, if you were to buy it, what would be the one to buy, and how much would you need?  I had heard approx. 3 deer leg sinews for a course of sinew, is that right?  If so, what does that translate to for elk, moose, or emu?
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by

Offline TRACY

Re: Question about type of sinew to use
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 05:49:43 pm »
I use these guys a lot for sinew and snakeskins etc. and they are top notch. I have done a handful of bows with sinew backing. All of the sinew I harvested from whitetails was front and rear legs. I have been told and have read that for the effort of pounding and separating sinew elk and moose are better than deer. I just purchased elk sinew rear and front leg from MoscowHF and the only difference from the deer is that it is longer and a little bit straighter strands. I found some that were on sale and they are working out just fine. Strongly recommend reading Jim Hamm's suggestion on getting started, traditional bowyer's bible 1 or 2. Good luck. This site also has some fantastic info from folks that know what they're doing!
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 06:32:33 pm »
If by deer you mean whitetail ,they are kinda short it usually takes about 8 legs for a layer of sinew for me. I can do a layer with elk sinew with about 3 legs. Get extra you don't want to run out ,before you have a full layer.

Ralph

tomm

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 11:40:33 pm »
the last two bows that I sinewed I used backstrap sinew and I used 25. I put 4 layers on one and 3 on the other they are 50" tip to tip one Osage ant the other hickey. I haven't put a scale on them but the Osage is a lot heaver to draw. I did use leg sinew and that tool a long time to get it pulled appart with backstrap you can use a florist frog and pull it through and it takes no time at all to have it shredded to the right size.  tomm