Author Topic: Which wood for warbow?  (Read 4330 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Which wood for warbow?
« on: September 02, 2012, 02:37:06 pm »
I'm wanting to make a war bow in the 130-160lbs draw weight range (I want to get to where I can draw my body weight, 140lbs,  and I need a bow to work up to) . The woods that I have to work with are hickory, ash, and black locust. Which one would you suggest for this? I'm not too worried about the design being accurate for an ewb, I'm just wanting to make something that will be a decent shooter and a heavy draw weight. Any advice is appreciated.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Which wood for warbow?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 02:52:01 pm »
I would suggest you check out the "English War Bow" thread here on PA. Some of the best war bow builders and shooters frequent this thread.
  Probably any of the woods you mentioned will make an EWB. Traditionally yew, elm or ash were used I believe.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 05:28:20 pm »
I wouldn't use any of those woods for a heavy weight bow.  Not saying they're not capable...I just think osage or yew would would be a bit safer to work up.  If you have a lot of the other, hit the trading post...a lot of people will trade good yew stave for some hickory and, especially, black locust.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 05:38:31 pm »
I wouldn't use any of those woods for a heavy weight bow.  Not saying they're not capable...I just think osage or yew would would be a bit safer to work up.  If you have a lot of the other, hit the trading post...a lot of people will trade good yew stave for some hickory and, especially, black locust.

My 2-cents: I think osage is a horrible warbow wood if in selfbow form, only from the denseness. Unless extremely reflexed to take advantage of osage's compression resistance, I think osage has little if any advantage over most other woods we consider "ok" bow woods in other designs. Most bow worthy woods can be completely safe in warbow form if the bowyer knows what he's doing. thats how I think anyway. Here's some good info from a guy who definitely know's what he's doing, (and alot more than I do) :) http://www.norwegianwarbows.com/makeyourownwarbow.htm

« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 05:42:18 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline k-hat

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 06:05:22 pm »
Many of the native american tribes had warbows over 100#, so you don't have to think English/European immediately when you think of a warbow.  One of the Choctaw chiefs i recall routinely used a 70ish inch warbow more in the eastern woodlands style, more of a flatbow.  i would think that a compression weak wood would lend itself well to that design.  Chief's was osage or hickory, can't recall which, but I think any of the three you mentioned would be ok for this.  Keep in mind I haven't made any warbows, just thinkin out loud ;)  Check out the warbow forum.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 06:08:38 pm »
Thanks for the advice. That link will be a good one to remember, thanks toomanyknots. I think I'll start out trying to make a long heavy flatbow out of black locust or hickory(I've got a lot of it) like k-hat is talking about while I try to trade for a piece of better wood for making an EWB. I've got quite a bit of hickory, black locust, and walnut, not a lot of ash or osage.  so I'll work on trading some of them for something better for that design. Thanks again

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 06:54:42 pm »
Thanks for the advice. That link will be a good one to remember, thanks toomanyknots. I think I'll start out trying to make a long heavy flatbow out of black locust or hickory(I've got a lot of it) like k-hat is talking about while I try to trade for a piece of better wood for making an EWB. I've got quite a bit of hickory, black locust, and walnut, not a lot of ash or osage.  so I'll work on trading some of them for something better for that design. Thanks again

Shoot, I would think that hickory would be alot better wood for a warbow than american ash, if american ash is what we are talking about.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 07:27:52 pm »
I'm not sure which species of ash it is that I have. I think it's white ash. But I might try the hickory. It would probably be a little easier than the black locust to get a working heavy weight bow from.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 09:14:46 pm »
Ash.

-B
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 10:36:37 pm »
I've just heard that american ash is not as good as european ash. I have also heard alot of people say that american ash is not the best bow wood and will take alot of set. I don't know...?

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 04:31:56 am »
White ash, will make a fine bow. European is just slightly denser, and when I say slightly I mean you can't tell the difference.IMHO.

-B
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline }|{opukc

• Patience my friend !!!
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 08:07:24 am »
From the above forests hickory and elm will make this possible in English style. Osage will cope if not.

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/41312/Osage-heavy-bow#.UEXZW_lNXKA

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=25657.0

Black locust will work better in a flat profile. Hickory can be combined with some tropical forests in the laminate like Ipe or cumaru. This will also work well. White ash will handle up to 110-120 but it will lead to much compression belly.
I would bet the first of yew, elm and hickory, then laminate combination.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:16:25 am by }|{opukc »
Best regards from Bulgaria - George