Author Topic: Hackberry bow  (Read 1158 times)

Offline grinner

Hackberry bow
« on: September 01, 2012, 07:37:42 pm »
Hi I am currently on my second attempt at making a hackberry bow and I have it tillered to about 21" and it has taken 1.5 inches of set so far.  My question is should I stop now and heat treat the belly of the bow or just keep it as is? THanks for the advice

Offline okie64

Re: Hackberry bow
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 08:10:42 pm »
If youve got the tiller good I would go ahead and heat treat it. I usually get mine tillered to about 20" or so and then heat treat.

Offline grinner

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 08:16:27 pm »
OK how long do i need to wait to work on it again then?
Thanks

Offline k-hat

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 08:48:38 pm »
I'm with okie.  the one i just finished i tempered about where you are.  The elm bow i'm working on now i tillered to brace good and even, then tempered it.  I'd wait at least 4 days, but it depends on your humidity level too.  I think i'd wait 4 days in even high humidity, longer in lower humidity just to be sure.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 12:26:45 pm »
I've been heat treating hackberry at the floor tiller stage before I put a string on it.  Then once again as I near completion.  Might be over kill but it's kept mine from taking much appreciable set.  I have been waiting about 24 hours after heat treating to work on them.  Not recommending that short of time, as heat treating is a fairly new thing for me, but 1 day has worked fine thus far. 
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.