Author Topic: A simple Hackberry Bow  (Read 12360 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: A simple Hackberry Bow
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2012, 11:41:36 am »
Very nice bow Ryan,I like the finish work myself. :) and can't beat the way the grain looks in Hackberry. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline jimmy

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2012, 02:41:47 pm »
There is tons of hackberry where I live.  Me and Sidewinder are entertaining the idea of working with it, I just always thought it might not be worth the effort.  Your bow looks real good though.  Can you give more dimensions on it?  Did it take on any set?

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2012, 03:04:54 pm »
It's pretty decent wood. dimensions about like any other white wood should be fine.  it took a little set. again, about like other white woods. im sure it will take a little more over time. It was a good dry piece tho. cured since '07.lol    I'm not hesitating to hunt with mine. I have a set of 8 sparkleberry, privet and hackberry arrowshafts between 650-725 grains that shoot great off it.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2012, 11:21:45 pm »
Another great bow Gill.  Reminds me that hackberry is on my bow wood bucket list.  Did you know the world's smallest genome belongs to an endosymbiont of a small aphid like bug parasitic to the hackberry tree?
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso