Author Topic: A few yew sticks  (Read 12463 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: A few yew sticks
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2012, 03:39:03 pm »
I like how it works, very soft and easily removed. I think I had about 45 minutes from the saw to a floor tillered blank. Crazy soft wood.

just wait till shes ready to shoot. light and fast  ;D

Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2012, 03:54:16 pm »
Its low ring count stuff, which doesnt mean much to me. Not sure how important that is in regards to performance?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2012, 07:34:36 pm »
with that weight bow ring count doesn't matter that much, if it were a warbow that would be a different story
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2012, 08:18:36 pm »
Pearl
 Looking good. I really like that Yew wood. Haven't had a-lot of it to work with but got a couple from CMB that are still wet. This winter I may push them a little. Put a pair of rattlesnake skins on it and it will be a looker for sure. Dean

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2012, 09:43:06 pm »
Its low ring count stuff, which doesnt mean much to me. Not sure how important that is in regards to performance?

IMO, I notice a difference between a bow with 15 RPI and one thats Like 50 RPI.  but if the 15 is heat treated then its a different story. both would be good hard hitting/shooting bows.
but if it shoots good then i really dont care as long as it puts food on the table, or puts a smile on a friends face. ;D

cant wait to see how this comes out. already looking really good!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2012, 09:51:43 pm »
Drums:  Just got back from a NASCAR weekend.  Great catching up on PA with this post.  For myself, I found that final tillering yew with sandpaper is all you need.  I put down the files and scrapers at this stage.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2012, 10:19:47 pm »
I figurted that out Matt. It amazes me what 80 grit on a block will do, even very lightly worked. I love it! However I cant wrap my osage/whitewood brain around soft equaling strong.....a few days from now when its ready to be final tillered and shot I will have my answer.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

mikekeswick

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2012, 04:02:37 am »
Looking good so far...
I've got piles of yew sitting around here...must make some spare time to get stuck into it!

Offline Holten101

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2012, 04:38:56 am »
I figurted that out Matt. It amazes me what 80 grit on a block will do, even very lightly worked. I love it! However I cant wrap my osage/whitewood brain around soft equaling strong.....a few days from now when its ready to be final tillered and shot I will have my answer.

Hehe....yeah, Im freaked out when working yew too. Its soft, and once it goes it really explodes....but man it is wicked bow wood. I wish I had more...only a few billets are left in my stash, cramped in behind heaps of wych elm:-/.

I see suggestion of giving her snake skins...not a bad idea. But, once buffed up the sapwood has the most amazing cream colour and I think you will lose some of the contrast that characterise a yew sap/heartwood bow with skins. If you decide not to back it, then keep in mind that it dents easily....it being soft and all.

Looking forward to the results:-)

Cheers

Offline Gaur

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2012, 12:25:57 pm »
looking great. I was working on half a stave today trying to remake a limb that a "friend" shattered when he took it to the range without asking me. 

I think you should still put thin rawhide on it as it would look more classic than snakeskins but give you some more durability for your hunting.
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2012, 01:10:52 pm »
looking great. I was working on half a stave today trying to remake a limb that a "friend" shattered when he took it to the range without asking me. 

I think you should still put thin rawhide on it as it would look more classic than snakeskins but give you some more durability for your hunting.

I may still back it Randy. Im one picky sumgun about my bows and if they arent just perfect I wont add anymore to them whatsoever. If it shoots well and I can hunt with it I will rawhide back it.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2012, 10:38:27 pm »
Where is this bow pearl?  Did I miss something while off chasing elk?  Have you just been busy off terrifying whitetails?
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2012, 11:02:41 pm »
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2012, 11:22:38 pm »
I really didn't see that coming.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso