Author Topic: Draw weights for hunting?  (Read 4288 times)

Offline SA

Re: Draw weights for hunting?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 01:02:49 am »
ah don't worry bout draw weight just use a 20#  bow and poison the tips :laugh: >:D j/k
Shawn Acker

Offline johnston

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 01:17:30 am »
Here in SC we have no restrictions on archery equipment whatsoever.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 01:44:12 am »
Accuracy > power

Every time.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 02:36:10 am »
I agree with Pearl Drums - the distance to your target is the big factor for me.  I have forty lb bows that I know are absolutely fine on deer out to about twelve to fifteen yards.  I shoot a lot,  and I have to say that I shoot my lighter bows straighter than my sixty lb plus bows, and they are easier to draw on a cold stiff morning.  That said, I wouldn't take a shot over 15 yards with my lighter weight bows.  It comes down to what my stand set up looks like,  and how far I will probably have to shoot.  I usually hunt with one in the 50 -55 lb range.  With a good heavy arrow and a razor sharp head, a fifty lb bow will kill anything in the woods.  Turkeys and hogs can be lots tougher to kill, so I would use more bow for them.  My 2 cents.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012, 11:17:19 am »
To me big game hunting with 40# bows is like the ol', "My grandpa smoked very day til he died at 92!". Sure it can happen here and there, but strong odds are ya' aint gonna live to 92 if you smoke everyday.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline boughnut

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2012, 11:50:01 am »
yea 40 is pushing it they made that law mostly so youth and ladies could enjoy bow hunting but I still think 45 to 55 is ideal as long as you are getting the performance needed.  I used to hunt with 70 pound and 75 pound bows and took many deer and a few hogs with them but 50 is where I base my weight around now.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2012, 04:20:33 pm »
LOL!!!!!
I couldnt disagree more.I find it amuseing, that this notion,of 40 lb hunting bows,being ineficient for the job on deer size critters,seems to be touted by people,in recent years,yet folks did it quite often,prior to the invention of the internet.In fact,there are a few of the "Icons" of the sport,who would dissagree as well,such as Howard Hill,Ron Laclair and Tim Meigs.It also seems to me,that most often,those that proclaim,40 lb bows as ineficient for the job,are those that most likely,have really never used them for the purpose.If someone,wants to use heavier and can REALLY handle more,thats great,more power to ya,but to say that less is ineficient and even unethical,is foolish,when there is plenty evidence to the contrary.I guess if a person,is recklessly out there flingin arrows,then you might have an argument,but i contend,that in that case,that it doesnt really matter what poundage a person uses,would it?The ONLY insurance in bowhunting,is well placed sharp broadheads,from an archer,who has self controll and the maturity to know when to drop the string and when to let em walk.PERIOD.

My question to some of the posts,

This under 15 yrd shots from 40 lb bows.Is that a personal limitation,you put on yourself,or a declaration,of the inability of  the equiptment,beyond that distance?

Offline k-hat

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2012, 06:52:29 pm »
Not really getting into the debate here, but didn't Howard Hill hunt with 100# bow?  Or was that just his big-game bow?  That's the only one i've read about him using.  Not that I'm suggesting at all that we should be hunting with 100# sticks, mind you ;)

Offline Traxx

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2012, 10:32:00 pm »
Howard,Did hunt with heavy bows and even as heavy as 100# when in Africa.
When howard was asked his input,concerning Establishing Bow weights for Regulations,he stated that 40 lbs and a 450 grn arrow was not only sufficent for dear and Elk,but for Moose as well.

Offline okie64

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2012, 02:14:06 pm »
A well designed 40 pound bow will get the job done on whitetails around here, you just have to know your limits. I probably wouldnt take a shot over 20 yards with a bow that light though. I usually hunt with 50 pound bows for whitetails and 60 pounders for hogs.