Author Topic: Snake skin  (Read 1739 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Snake skin
« on: September 05, 2012, 07:39:24 pm »
OK I've got an easy one for you fellas.How long do you let a fresh snake skin dry on a sinew backed bow?It was'nt that terribly thick of a fresh skin.Put it on with tite bond 3.This bow is setting on top of my dehumidifier at about 40% humidity with a fan blowing on it.Oh yea the place has an air condtioner running too.I'd rather error on the side of caution with this one.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Josh B

Re: Snake skin
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 08:22:22 pm »
One full day at least.  Two days to error on the side of caution.  Josh

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 10:10:07 pm »
Hey Josh have you ever seen a sinewed bow lose a little reflex after putting a snake skin on with titebond three?I sized both surfaces and set er on and smoothed any bubbles out.About 4 to 5 hours later I checked the reflex and it had lost 3/8" of an inch.I went ahead and reverse braced it an extra 1 and 1/2" over what it showed me.It's been 8 to 9 hours now I'm afraid the damage is done.I'll let it set for a few days.What do you think?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 12:28:35 am »
Give it a week just to bring everything back into balance.  I bet your sinew sucked the moisture outa that glue like a camel in the Kalahari Desert!  Keeping it where there is moving air helps speed up the process.  Patience, kiddo, patience.   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 08:47:09 am »
I'm with JW, at least a week,with the wet skins and glue it will take a while for it to all dry back out. Looking forward to seeing it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 12:44:47 pm »
I agree that its just moisture that temporarily relaxed your sinew.  No permanent damage done.  I'm guessing you used skins that were dried?  When you rehydrate them, they probably have more moisture than the fresh skins I use.  I don't skin bows Very much so I would  definitely listen to the wise words of Pappy and JW.  Josh

Never mind me! Lol. I just reread your post and seen that you used fresh skins.  I guess I didn't notice any relaxing of reflex when I've skinned em.  I'm not saying that it didn't happen, only that I didn't notice.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:56:29 pm by Gun Doc »