Author Topic: Interesting bow in videos  (Read 1873 times)

Offline Alaric

Interesting bow in videos
« on: August 30, 2012, 10:11:53 am »
Has anyone seen bows like the ones in these videos? Are they glass laminated?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o9RGnujlkI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdes3XCkhcM&feature=channel&list=UL

Richard

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Interesting bow in videos
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 10:57:54 am »
Could be a genuine horn sinew composite (but I'd guess not). there are a lot of f/glass (spits on floor) horsebows being imported from China.
(I'm not China bashing, as that style of bow is part of their heritage).
A few guys at the club have 'em, make a change from longbow. They are cheap and good fun, they are generally leather covered so they look authentic.
I have one I made myself from old f/glass lams from my old crossbow making days.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline arklowrebel

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 11:15:58 am »
Depends how much you want to pay, Alaric!  You can buy the real deal (composite bow with natural materials) from reputable bowyers in Hungary, the US and elsewhere.  Most, however, have fibreglass limbs as Del says.  I have a couple and they are lovely to shoot.  Some day I'd love to be able to make the real deal, but for the moment, I'm still learning how to make a simple selfbow.   :)

Offline Alaric

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 11:25:53 am »
While I would love to have a real horn bow in my collection I'm not much of a recurve fan in general, I just found them interesting and she is fun to watch, very fluid movement. It looks like she is shooting over 16 arrows in 30 seconds, the best I could ever do consistently was 10 back when I was shooting royal rounds regularly.

Richard

Offline coaster500

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 01:06:37 pm »
Don't know what the materials but if the Indians could shoot like that the States might look different today ???
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)