Author Topic: Something Fishy UPDATE  (Read 9454 times)

Offline DQ

Something Fishy UPDATE
« on: August 28, 2012, 10:35:51 pm »
This ugly carp skinned bow is American elm, 66" ntn, 1 3/4" wide at the fades tapering to 5/8" nocks, 47# @ 28".  I toasted it into reflex and recurved it, but I lost the reflex and a lot of my recurves during tillering.  The backing is common carp skins.  I put them on green, (freshly fleshed) using TBIII glue.  The bow was shooting quite nicely at 50# @ 28" before I put the skins on.  It lost 3# because of the thick, heavy skins and too much glue.  Oops!  Guess I should have stretched and dried the skins and sanded them thinner. This bow is pretty slow and not exactly a joy to shoot, but I learned a lot about tillering recurves and fish skin backing from the experience.  Maybe I can kill a carp with it next spring.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 05:46:22 pm by DQ »

Offline DQ

Re: Something Fishy
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 10:37:52 pm »
More photos

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 10:40:53 pm »
Interesting that you find this bow has low performance. The braced profile is very nice. It is amazing the effect of extra mass, especially on the tips, can have on bow performance. Just from the pics, the bow looks great! I sure don't think the carp skins are ugly. And while the tiller may be a bit flat off the upper fade, its sure not bad.  Better than many of mine.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 10:51:09 pm »
That looks like a nice bow to me.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 10:54:18 pm »
Hard to believe a bow that looks that good is not a great shooter. I guess you'll have to send it down to me! ;)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline DQ

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 11:03:07 pm »
I don't mean that this bow is a complete dog.  It does shoot an arrow.  The limbs just feel too heavy and too overbuilt.  Also, I'm used to shooting about 10# more weight, (and performance)  I totaly missed my weight trying to learn how to tiller a bow with both reflex and recurves.  :-[

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 11:31:08 pm »
Eh.....those are just minor things and a part of the learning curve. And your catching on real quick Daryl,and have a natural knack for bowmaking. Finish work looks sweeeeet.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 11:54:26 pm »
I do love the carp skins...the bow looks great!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 12:58:51 am »
Nothing ugly about that. Great looking bow. How long did you let it dry after putting on the skins. If they were fresh fleshed they may have leached some oils in the wood.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 06:19:49 am »
Fine looking bow and great tiller, dont be too hard on her, or your self. Job well done.  8)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 07:12:02 am »
Yep DQ looks really nice to me,love the brace profile and full draw,looks like it is standing straight un braced also,always a good sign. Just looks I would think it would be a good shooter. Love the carp skins,I have only made one with carp and really like the looks of them, ??? don't know why I gave it away. :(
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 09:21:05 am »
I'm with Keenan, Daryl.  Maybe with all of the "wetness", you introduced some moisture into the stave.  With a bit of luck, it may dry up in time and gain a few lbs.  Nevertheless, I think its a great looking bow.  Sure like them skins.  I have a couple of carp in the freezer, I've yet to use.  Hmmmmmmmm...
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline DQ

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 09:32:49 am »
Thanks for your comments everyone.  I appreciate your input on this "experimental" carp skin backing.

Keenan - I didn't get the skins degreased well enough.  They took about three weeks to completely dry and stop oozing yellow oil.  It's possible that some leached into the wood.  I hadn't thought of that.  The bow seems slow to recover its profile after shooting...and that may be why.  Next time I use carp skins I will take better care to prepare them properly.

I think I'll go shoot that bow hard today and see what happens. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 09:46:48 am »
Nice finish job Darryl. Nothing wrong with a 47# bow either Brutus!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 10:58:07 am »
 Again Great looking bow and excellent profile. I will bet it will gain back some poundage after it fully cures. Many of the sturgeon skinned bows I have done have continued to increase in pounds over time from drying and the skins shrinking up.