Author Topic: What is the best hickory species for bows?  (Read 5490 times)

Offline zinger

What is the best hickory species for bows?
« on: September 03, 2012, 06:10:48 pm »
Hickory is commonly suggested as the all around, go-to bowwood, but only rarely does anyone suggest a particular species. In my area (around Charlottesville Va) we have 5-6 species, including bitternut, shagbark and pignut. Does anyone have an opnion on which species makes the better bow?

Offline JonW

Re: What is the best hickory species for bows?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 06:28:15 pm »
I have used most all of them I believe. I can't really say which makes a better bow but I find that Shagbark and Pignut have less twist than the others on the average.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 06:51:45 pm »
I've heard they're all great. I've only made one hickory bow and I don't know which species it is.

Offline okie64

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 08:39:23 pm »
Any of the hickories will make a great bow, I've made em from mockernut, black, and pecan and they all act and work about the same. The mockernut hickory staves that I have are extremely heavy compared to the others, it feels more like the weight of osage.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 09:04:33 pm »
Have read that pignut is the best. But i would use whatever species is easiest to obtain.
Steve Bennett

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 09:44:24 pm »
Used them all except for pecan, and really like bitternut hickory. It is also more plentiful where I am at. I would use any when it comes right down to it.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 10:02:06 pm »
I've made 4 shagbark and 1 pignut.Both are good but the pignut bow I made did something different.The more wood I removed from the belly floor tillering the more reflex it took on by itself.Really tension strong.The thing about them is that they really do well after heat treating their belly.Gaining anywhere from 5 to 10 pounds draw weight after I do them anyway.Retiller them back down and you have a lighter mass weight bow that shoots the same weight as before.Faster.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 10:22:29 pm »
All of the hickories make excellent bows. Real like using butternut hickory ,  but that is because it is what I have available. Great stuff.

Jon