Author Topic: Raw hemp backing???  (Read 1459 times)

Offline sound maker

Raw hemp backing???
« on: September 11, 2012, 01:45:39 pm »
 I got some raw hemp and want to know how it does for backing. I was thinking of using it for a board bow that I'm making but want to be sure before I put it on.
I am not the best but learn from the wise and you'll end up being called he best!
 What one person calls common sense another calls wisdom.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
Re: Raw hemp backing???
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 04:21:20 pm »
Probably could use it like a combed flax backing, a la Tim Baker.  Hemp is strong, and doesn't stretch much.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline sound maker

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 04:29:52 pm »
So should I size the back and then lay the hemp flat down evenly or twist it and then put it down like Baker does with the flax?? and should I just get put alot of glue down first then cover them with glue or just soak it in glue then put it down?? kind of don't want to waste glue here.

p.s. I got this instead of that there flax because the place I got them was backordered on the flax and hemp was there.
I am not the best but learn from the wise and you'll end up being called he best!
 What one person calls common sense another calls wisdom.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 05:09:18 pm »
I've never done a combed backing.  I've backed a bow with strands of hemp twine, by sizing the back and laying them down vertically and covering with glue.

My thoughts (again un-tested) are that  the same technique could be used for raw hemp, but you'd have to 'comb' the fibers while there are wet with glue to get even thickness, and distribution.  You may also have some trouble getting them to lay flat.  I think literally a coarse toothed comb would work well for this.  I'm sure a search would turn up some more info.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 05:26:14 pm »
i did a hemp twine backing oncestreched the twine out on a board, stapled the end's down and sized it with glue, when it dryed it went on in one piece, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 06:16:18 pm »
I would put it down just like sinew. Size the back, dip the hemp in the glue and squeegee off the excess and lay it down, overlapping the course before.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC