Author Topic: Time for a change!  (Read 1450 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Time for a change!
« on: August 29, 2012, 04:21:34 pm »
Guys and girls, I hate to admit that things have not been a bed of roses for me since about two weeks after the surgery.  To be honest, things have gotten to be on my best day, worst than things were before even having the surgery.  I have been on a forum that deals with this disease a lot, and have found out quite a few things from others that have had this done.  It is not a giving back my life type of surgery, but rather one that over time you body will learn to adjust and make things "as comfortable as they can be" type surgery.

I had been feeling so tired of late, and have done nothing to exert myself to feel that way.  It seems as though the brain has gone into overload and is just not responding.  Well because of this, I called the doctor and ask that he call me when he could.  And he did.

Certain things that will happen over time (up to a year or more for some people) is that the brain will learn to compensate "most" of my balance issues, and allow me to function properly.  Not all, but most.  As to his and other explanations, when the brain is placed under sever stress, which it is in the case of this operation, it takes repeated sessions to allow it to recover.  It does not do it the first time it sees something for the first time, but rather it builds on repetition.

Also severe and radical movement of the head and eyes, will show me a quicker exhaustion than slow methodical movements.  IE:  the building of that bow form?, Looking at this computer for long periods of time?, driving, especially at night with the movements of light coming at me?, and on and on.

The best plan of attack that the Dr. can give me for now, is 1) knowing that this is going to take time, and lot's of it.  It will be better, but only with time. 2) adjusting my lifestyle to one that my brain can read and recognize easier. 3) Restrain from long periods of time doing "any one thing over and over" to allow the brain to take things in SLOWLY, rather that try and conquer the world in one day.

After saying all this and talking to my Dr.  it has been stressed to me on several occasions to not stay in front of this computer like I have been, get out and exercise my body and brain doing short sessions of things at a time, and adjust my lifestyle to allow better use and function of my brain when I do need it.  Stay away from the TV with all the movement that it shows, which I hardly do.

There are several things he wants me to do, but I am not going into all of that here as it it really really boring.  But the bottom line, is I am signing off of the computer for a while.   A week, two weeks, a month, not real sure yet.  But I sit here every morning for 4 to 5 hours, because I can not do anything else, and visit all my favorite sites to see what is new, who got new bows, what is the best wood for arrows, and it is not helping me.

I have been going to bed every night since the operation at or around 7 PM and the getting up at 3 or 4 in the morning, and could do nothing with my father sleeping so I get on here.  Then by the time sunlight gets here, I am too tired to do anything.  WELL, DON'T DO THAT?Huh?

I did have a great talk with the Dr. and he is right, I have expected to much to quick, and have never once yet, done anything to improve my brains performance, but rather have challenged it to a point that it can not take it.  So I have to change.

I will frequent the places I love the most off and on, but time is going to be limited for a while.

Thanks
Charlie
Stringstretcher

Offline seabass

Re: Time for a change!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 05:28:54 pm »
sorry to hear that Charlie.i hope you get better soon.we will all miss you.good luck with your recovery buddy,Steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 05:46:10 pm »
Charlie You will be in our prayers as always my friend. Take time and get yourself healed. we will miss you for sure but you need to do what you can to get better. We'll be here when you get the chance.  If you ever need someone to chat with don't hesitate to call.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 05:59:36 pm »
really sorry to hear of yr struggle charlie.
smoke and prayers for your recovery.
i know ya got lots of friends here.
hope that gives you some encouragement.
peace
wild women don't get the blues

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 06:32:36 pm »
Not sure of your condition, but I hope you recovery soon. I know I would be bummed if I could not do my normal activities. Good luck! :)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 06:38:50 pm »
can you post your snail mail address so we can send you stuff that way?

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 06:41:10 pm »
YosemiteBen, I will send you my snail mail, and anyone interested in contacting me can get it from you?  Pm Sent.