Author Topic: Cutting those turkey feathers! ??  (Read 13542 times)

Offline Bear Claw

Re: Cutting those turkey feathers! ??
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2012, 05:46:40 am »
I soak the feathers in warm water for 15 min or so. It softens the quill and basically eliminates any issues with the veins breaking unless you are using very old feathers.  The only part of the vein that curls is the last inch or so and in most cases the part of the feather at the end of the quill isn't the best part anyway. I just thought I would mention it as an option to cutting and grinding.
Aaron from northwest Arkansas.

Offline bhenders

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2012, 11:00:25 am »
Need a feather holder to sand the quills?
Go to Home Depot or other store and buy a cheap door push (usually 4" x 16' or so ).  Cut in half.  Hinge with duct tape.  Use two mini-clamps to keep it clamped on the feather.
Sand away.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2012, 03:28:38 am »
Just did something neat.  I used the other side of the quill on primaries where it's tall enough.  I ultra like it!

Offline kevinnator11

• Just a new guy learning all of the tips and tricks
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2012, 01:19:16 pm »
Tried the 3 River ribbons with a soldering gun but they wouldn't get hot enough.  Gonna have to find something else to burn with.  I guess that it could be good.  I have plenty of wire that would probably work if the power source is good. 
Kevin

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2012, 11:05:58 am »
I'd say take apart an old toaster.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2012, 01:46:47 pm »
Like BearClaw, I too strip the fletch from the quill.  Lots of people don't like this because they look at how loose and floppy the fletch is as it lies on the bench.  They think that it will be like that when it's on the arrow.  But think about this: when glued onto the arrow shaft, the arrow now replaces the quill.  The fletch uses the arrow shaft whether you grind or strip. 

I have found that the stripping works best when I run the feathers thru some steam before working them.  Often the feathers get too dry and they have a problem with ripping out.  The steam straightens the feather webbing nicely and re-hydrates the quill enough so that they strip more consistently. 

I still have some feathers that split the quill when I strip, so I just grind those.  If I ever shoot a plastic turkey decoy I am going to have to learn to split plastic vanes for my arrows, but until then NATURAL IS THE WAY TO GO!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline anasazi

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2012, 11:07:30 pm »
Any one ever tried using a old hair dryer coil for ribbon or a power source? I have been meaning to give it a try just havent gotten around to it yet.