Author Topic: FIRST LONGBOW  (Read 1863 times)

Offline wingman

FIRST LONGBOW
« on: September 09, 2012, 06:03:46 am »
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and brand new to making bows.  After buying and reading all four volumes of the Tradcitional Bowyer's Bible I am ready to take the plunge into bow making.  There is a local store that sells bow stave blanks with the bark still on them and they are available in Red Elm, Hickory and Black Locust.

Any words of advise on which would be eaiser and more forgiving to a newbies inaccuracies and mistakes?

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 09:34:25 am by Justin Snyder »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: FIRST LONGBOW
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 06:16:47 am »
Just leap in and have a go, you'll learn more on your first attempt than almost any other bow.
If $45 is a bit hard on your pocket, just have a play with almost any branch you can get your hands on first just to get some idea and to help you get your eye in looking at the tiller.
You'll find plenty of help encouragement and humour on this site. We all need the odd bit of advice, even the old hands.
Good luck
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 09:30:16 am »
      Hickory would get my vote from that list as far as durability and will normally hold up as a bow even with bad tiller because of it's absolute toughness. Make sure it's dry and keep it that way or it will take set.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 09:44:45 am »
I would stick with hickory and use Jim Hamm's osage flatbow recipe in TBB1. Even though his is osage, its grossly overbuilt at his given dimensions. They will work great with hickory at 28".
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Matt Heppe

• Eternal Knight
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 10:10:49 am »
I'd second what Del said. Cut a sapling or a branch and work with it for a little while. My first two bows were green sapling bows I made for my daughter. We still have one. It took a ton of set, but I learned a lot and she loves shooting it.
Eternal Knight: where I write about writing, do book reviews, and display my novice bows.

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 10:48:27 am »
Hi wingman!  I have tried the elm and hickory from AMC, i found the elm to be a better quality choice.  Albeit, the hickory was very moist when i got it and i dried it out myself, the bend tests on small pieces were less than impressive.  The elm was nice tho, easy to work, and an exceptional stave by all means :)
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"