Author Topic: Hickory backed maple molle - lams & full draw pics added  (Read 9510 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Hickory backed hard maple - lams & full draw pics added
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2012, 02:17:33 pm »
OK. After shooting the bow in with the new lams, I noticed my glue line failing at the handle fade on one limb.

My first attempt to fix was to clean out the old glue as good as I could with a knife blade and squirt in thin superglue and re-clamp. After leaving overnight, no luck. This time I re-glued with 3500 psi epoxy from HD. This time it held. (I have used that glue on some handles lately, too with pretty good results.)

This is why I like this bow so much!!

That's only from about 10 yards, but the bow shoots really smooth!

The hard maple board I started with was a full inch thick which does not appear to bend, so I glued on a 1/4' piece of poplar to the front and back of the handle to round it out. The poplar is soft and very easy to work. Here is the front of the handle.

Here is the back.

[size=78%]Here is one full draw pic.[/size]

and another...

I think I am going to pike it an inch on each end, thin the levers, some, and add tip overlays. Then build up the sides of the handle a tad with leather and dress her up for the prom. I'll post some finish pics when I'm done.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:23:20 am by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline half eye

Re: Hickory backed maple molle - lams & full draw pics added
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2012, 02:53:27 pm »
That sir is a Mollegabet bend ....excellent save and excellent tiller on the "improved" version. Now kill some venison,eh? Well Pork aint bad either 8)
rich

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2012, 03:33:16 pm »
Like that one a lot Kenny.  Very sweet bend.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2012, 03:59:03 pm »
Nice! That turned out much better than just tossing it in a corner would have done for it. Your tiller looks good. I wouldnt suggest taking anything of the ntn length. Its working O.T. now. Good save Bulldog!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2012, 04:07:07 pm »
Thanks, guys. I decided not to pike it. It is 50#@27" right now after being shot in with a little more sanding to do. It does have a couple inches of set measured from the lever fade, but is smooth as silk. I just put osage orange tip overlays on.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2012, 04:19:27 pm »
Thanks, guys. I decided not to pike it. It is 50#@27" right now after being shot in with a little more sanding to do. It does have a couple inches of set measured from the lever fade, but is smooth as silk. I just put osage orange tip overlays on.

Yeah, yeah.  Blah, blah, blah. 

PICTURES!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2012, 04:26:52 pm »
That is a sweet save. good job sticking with her til she came around.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2012, 08:45:05 pm »
I decided to keep the bow natural since I couldn't figure a way to compliment the osage with a stain. Here are a couple of pics of it while it is on my redneck bow drying rack.

Here is the osage tip pic you requested, JW!

When she gets all dry, I finish up the handle, get a string on her and post some pics.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:21:53 am by lesken2011 »

Offline Josh B

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2012, 02:08:06 am »
Nice save and looks pretty cool to! It appears to shoot even better than it looks.  Well done Sir!  Josh

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2012, 02:12:43 pm »
I believe you made an excellent choice with leaving the bow in it's natural colors, great way to highlight the different woods.  And as the osage ages and darkens it will further dramatize the difference. 

Nice work, nice work indeed!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2012, 03:18:57 pm »
Way to stay with it !!!  very nice :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2012, 02:50:12 am »
I am glad you decided to stay with that one Kenny.  It turned out really fine.  I am glad you decided against piking it - a bow that bends that good and shoots that straight just can't be improved on too much.  Great work brother!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi