Author Topic: Elm with a little bit-o-'curve  (Read 4561 times)

Offline JonW

Elm with a little bit-o-'curve
« on: August 25, 2012, 04:22:52 pm »
I really didn't like this piece of wood after I got the bow roughed out. It seemed kinda weak for its mass. I went ahead and kicked the tips a little and tillered it out. It came in at 48# @ 26" but I thought I would heat treat it a little to see what it would pick up in draw weight. I know this may be hard to believe but the bow picked up 14 lbs!! Now it pulls 62# @ 26". I think I will hunt with this bow some this year as it shoots really good. The bow is 62" NTN. I have a couple more staves from this tree and I will definately be heat treating those as well.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Elm with a little bit-o-'curve
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 04:25:28 pm »
Holy wah!  Ya nailed that tiller!  That bow should be a poster child for heat treating! 

Love the osage nocks, too.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 04:29:19 pm »
Gorgeous full draw. and the braced pic aint bad either. good job love that style
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 04:46:21 pm »
Nice job, Jon. What's that width...about 2 in.?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 04:55:04 pm »
Just had a similar experience with a piece of plum. Came in under weight 42 and overbuilt. I reduced tip mass, added recurve and heay treated the belly. Now she's pulling 50#, flat profile and launches an arrow. Heat

Great work on your bow.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 05:03:12 pm »
Man I'm liking that a whole lot! Heck of an increase with tempering too. I'd be proud to hunt with a bow like that.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline JonW

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 05:09:42 pm »
Thanks guys. JW, I have made so many short bows that now I think everything I make comes out with a circular tiller :-\Kenny the bow is 1 7/8" at the fades. I have done some heat treating in the past on whitewoods but never had the results like I had with this bow.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 05:25:55 pm »
That sure looks to be a killer to me Jon. Very nice tiller on that bow and those tips seem to have just the right amount of curve to them.
I like that bow from every angle, braced, unbraced and full draw. You made a dandy and I bet it's a smooth shooter too. Real nice!

Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 08:50:47 pm »
Wow I'd say elm like the HEAT!!!!!

Sweet bender there :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 11:12:31 pm »
Sweet....some elm responds very well with heat treating and improves reduced set big time.how much reflex did you induce while tempering? If so,then that explains why you gained so much weight. Adding the reflex will gain you approx 3 pounds per inch. And flipping the tips increased your weight as well. Which explains the big weight gain.

Offline half eye

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 11:37:01 pm »
Jon, cant say nothin about the heat-treat or none of that other stuff. I have used a lot of Elm though, and that bow is as fine they come. I believe that elm is an underrated bow wood. Very nicely done sir!!!
rich

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 11:51:46 pm »
Thats one sweet bow Jon!! Nice work pal.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline JonW

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 12:43:58 am »
Thanks Rich. I know you use a lot of Elm and I am liking it the more I use it.
Thanks Dave

Chris I didn't reflex it much at all. I just clamped it in the form I used to do the tips and heat treated it. It was fairly flat limbed to start. I flipped the tips initially before tillering. The gain was solely from the heating.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 01:37:43 am »
That came out sweet!  Great tiller and the profile is very graceful.  Well done Sir!  Josh

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 05:03:33 am »
Fantastic.  Your tiller looks great.  I had a similar heat treating success with winged elm.  It picked up ten pounds just from the heat alone.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi