Author Topic: hackberry question  (Read 1690 times)

Offline bubby

hackberry question
« on: August 24, 2012, 05:56:25 pm »
I've got a nice hackberry stave that i got from Paulsemp and i've got a ?, it's 64" long and 2"w buy 1 1/2" to 1 5/8" thick, can i get a 29" draw with a 4" grip and 1 1/2" fades or should i go eastern woodland style and maybe get two bows from it, never worked hackberry before but seems a tad short for a stiffy handle bow, design input welcome, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline coaster500

Re: hackberry question
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 05:59:29 pm »

I've built three now Bubby and I think 64 is pushin it for 29"s...  even toasting it I think you will battle set...  It's hard to break but takes some set???
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 06:09:59 pm »
that's what i was thinking, probablly should go d bow, does it need to be a little wide?, Bub

Offline coaster500

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 06:18:39 pm »
It's such a lite wood you end up with a little more mass in the finished bow....  I've only done flat bows haven't tried a bender yet but it should work at 64 at 29"s....  somebody else will chime in but my guess is yes a bit wider would be good...

Drums has made a bunch of hackberry bows I'm sure he will have more info ... 
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 07:16:09 pm »
Just sent you some specs

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 07:23:59 pm »
The only problem with full D bows is trying to keep the width you need on a softer wood like hackberry. It makes for an uncomfy grip. I would try a bow that had a somewhat working grip and fade a rea that just starts to move at 27" or so. The grip would still be narrowed and a bit thicker than the limbs by a 3/8" or so. Leave it 2" wide and pyramid it, add tip overlays so you can use almost all of the 64" and temper it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 07:28:56 pm »
Ya know bubby after thinking this through a bit I think you need to build a bow for me??? I only draw 27 inches and that just about perfect for a 64" bow  >:D

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 07:32:58 pm »
Ya know bubby after thinking this through a bit I think you need to build a bow for me??? I only draw 27 inches and that just about perfect for a 64" bow  >:D

you could be right about that, quess we'll see what we see >:D

thank's tracy
pearlie i'm trying to get some bows ruffed out pre surgery, i'm planning on those 'sage billets being my rehab bow, Bub

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 07:45:41 pm »
I like PD's idea.  I think you can get 29" even with a stiff handle, but you may be pushing the limit.  The Hackberry I just finished is 62",  5" stiff handle, 2" fades, 2" wide, 27" draw 47ish lbs., semi pyramid, toasted belly.  It had about 1 1/2" natural back set.  It now has about 1/2" string follow (after 150 arrows or so) when first unstrung.  Next day it is perfectly flat or a little better.  Very surprising to me. 
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 10:27:30 pm »
I think you can do it but I should of ask what you like to shoot before i sent those staves. If you have trouble I have a some  70"+ staves I can send.

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 06:24:48 am »

no worry's Paul, I'll make a bow out of it, i've about got laminated recurves down if i need a little length, or i'll build it for someone else ;D, Bub