Author Topic: New member saying hi with question  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Corrado

New member saying hi with question
« on: August 28, 2012, 11:45:21 am »
Hi all. Ive been visiting the sight off and on for a couple weeks and finally decided to join. Unfortunately, I'm new to being a bowyer so don't have too much experience to contribute.  Earlier this year I  was inspired to give selfbow making a try. My first attempt was a with an ironwood stave  that ended in failure. My second was with pignut hickory. I did a bit more research on this one, took my time and made a pretty descent bow ( I think ). It's 65 inch nock to nock and pulls 47 pounds @ 28inches.

My main reason for making a self bow was for making a hunting weapon. I'm hoping to take a deer this year with the bow I made. This leaves me with an issue I'm not sure of.  Since Im new to this, I can't really judge the efficiency of the bow.  I don't want to to shoot an underpowered arrow at a deer and potentially wound it.

Yesterday I visited a friend who just bought a chrono. And shot a few arrows. My average speed was around 150 fps with a 400 grain carbon arrow.  Using the kinetic energy conversion it endss up around 20 pounds of energy. I've always heard that 30-35 foot pounds was on the bottom end for game such as deer. Did I build a flop or am I good.. I know a good broad head and tuned arrow will go a long way. Just asking for input .. Thanks

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: New member saying hi with question
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 12:26:47 pm »
if your bow is shooting 47 lbs at 28 in and its shooting 150 fps, with a 500-600 grain arrow you should be albe to kill a deer. just place your shot well and it WILL die. here is proof : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsqrlaIef2o&list=UU91cRUSzWT0nL66FhKHciIQ&index=10&feature=plcp
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 12:27:36 pm »
I'd use a heavier arrow and a cut-to-tip broadhead, and try and keep my shots within 15yards.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 01:53:44 pm »
Often our primitive bows shoot poorly with lighter weight arrows.  These bows naturally have more efficiency when they have an arrow they can lean into!  The typical ratio is 10 grains of arrow weight for every lb of draw weight.  So your 400 grain carbons may be leaving too much kinetic energy behind in the limbs, and that often translates as hand shock. 

If you can get something closeer to a 500 grain arrow you will probably still see the 150 fps, but have increased kinetic energy in the arrow simply because the bow is able to give more to the arrow! 

Another benchmark we often use a simple rule of thumb that the speed of the arrow in FPS should be at least the draw weight plus 100.  If you are getting 150 fps, that's better than the 100+47 rule.  Not bad, son, not bad at all!

Now to the critique.  You made a glaring error that needs to be fixed.  You didn't post a picture of the bow!  Tsk, tsk.  If you have been lurking here you would know there is nothing we all like more than photos of the different bows, arrows, knapped heads, kids with bows, dogs with arrows, cats in piles of osage shavings, etc!

Welcome to the addiction!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 03:12:37 pm »
Welcome !!
Your right where you need to be and JW gave you the generalities
Have fun
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Corrado

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 03:25:55 pm »
Thanks for the great replies. By coincidence, the wood arrow test kit came today. It has 4 different arrows of spine weight. Ive been mixing head weights and shooting for the last couple hours. It's shooting a LOT better. I think I've settle on 485 grain total arrow weight with 150 gr head. It's penetrating a foam target 8 to 9 inches at 15 yds as compared to 3 to 4 the carbon was getting (with bad flight)..

I will post some pictures. Not a real looker, but Im confident now that it'll get the job done. Thanks all.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 06:15:51 pm »
Sounds like yah got a good shooter there....WHERES THE PICTURES MAN?!
whats the total mass of the bow w/o grip material?

-Bryce
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 10:50:06 pm »
Ya, what JW said, and Bryce. Let's see a pic or two.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI