Author Topic: Another one gone  (Read 3740 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Another one gone
« on: August 25, 2012, 12:47:36 am »
The uncle for whom I was named passed away the other day.  He was a certified character, always something tickling his funny bone and making him laugh.

I remember begging him to dig out his guitar and play for me.  He'd inevitably play "Big, Bad John".  Looking back, that is hilarious as all heck to me.  I was a sickly, pale, skinny, undersized kid and I know he was singing it with an unvoiced prayer under his breath that I'd grow up to fill out like the man in the song. 

He taught me my first cuss words.  Bless him, I've made good use of them ever since.

In all likelyhood he also gave me my first slug of beer. 

One of my most treasured photos is of him with a great horned owl sitting on his shoulder back in the early 70's.  It just showed up at their place and my cousins snared gophers for it all summer.  Years later I have a great horned owl that I take care of on a daily basis.  I've even snared a gopher or two for her. 

A good man even with his flaws and shortcomings. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Badger

Re: Another one gone
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 01:06:06 am »
  We could all use an uncle like that in our lives. Sorry for your loss.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 01:30:34 am »
Sorry for your loss, John.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 01:54:11 am »
Is sounds as if the fond memories keeps him with you....sorry to hear of your loss
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 01:58:21 am »
Sorry for your loss. 
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline DGF

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 02:05:00 am »
Sorry for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful man.
Wyoming, MI

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 09:30:58 am »
Sorry, JW. It's hard to imagine the effect we sometimes have on those around us. It sounds like he left you with some pretty good memories.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Stringman

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 09:42:22 am »
In some cases, the best parts of a person are the memeories they leave behind and sometimes the memories just plain outgrow  their owner. Sounds like you had an Uncle worthy of the memories. It also seems he has left a lasting mark on ya... I'm bettin he was proud to have you as his namesake.

Sorry for your loss, John. Glad you've got the memories!

Scott

Offline half eye

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 09:46:25 am »
JW aint gone, he is the memories you have. Everytime ya call up a memory and the love, he's grinnin like a cheshire cat. He is a lucky man to have that legacy.
rich

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 10:00:14 am »
It's difficult to lose one you are close to and more so if they are of good nature and humor as it sounds like your uncle was. Sorry to hear of your loss JW.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 10:08:14 am »
Sorry for your loss JW.  Neat that you got a place to write such a fitting tribute.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 10:28:30 am »
JW, that does hurt. My sympathies. May his memory be eternal. George
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline coaster500

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 11:22:04 am »
The uncle for whom I was named passed away the other day.  He was a certified character, always something tickling his funny bone and making him laugh.

I remember begging him to dig out his guitar and play for me.  He'd inevitably play "Big, Bad John".  Looking back, that is hilarious as all heck to me.  I was a sickly, pale, skinny, undersized kid and I know he was singing it with an unvoiced prayer under his breath that I'd grow up to fill out like the man in the song. 

He taught me my first cuss words.  Bless him, I've made good use of them ever since.

In all likelyhood he also gave me my first slug of beer. 

One of my most treasured photos is of him with a great horned owl sitting on his shoulder back in the early 70's.  It just showed up at their place and my cousins snared gophers for it all summer.  Years later I have a great horned owl that I take care of on a daily basis.  I've even snared a gopher or two for her. 

A good man even with his flaws and shortcomings.

Sorry for your loss JW.... what treasure of memories he left you............ 
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 01:24:36 pm »
Just the memories you shared with us paint a pretty vivid picture of a man who left a lot of good times to be remembered for a lifetime. My condolences.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 01:32:52 pm »
I'm sorry to hear of your loss John. I had an uncle the same way, miss him, too.

I moved it down here, thought it was a better spot.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?