Author Topic: Red Oak board bow.  (Read 1657 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

Red Oak board bow.
« on: August 26, 2012, 10:04:05 pm »
This is a bow i made for my sister for her birthday. unfortunately i left the tiller at 40# @ 28" i will be making her a smaller bow and a lower draw weight. This one is 64" ntn and 66" ttt. this bow was fairly easy to tiller, and the handle and backing are leather. The design was drawn by her. There is about 2.5 inches of string follow. I finished this bow near 2 months ago... just wanted to share.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:07:16 pm by ionicmuffin »
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline missilemaster

Re: Red Oak board bow.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 10:13:40 pm »
cool artwork!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 01:28:55 am »
Shes a much better artist than i am. i however don't want to bother retillering. so i think instead ill make her a new one since i have someone else that wants this one. i realized that it isn't very cleaned up. that should change when i get my scrapper set. Which reminds me. does anybody know of a vid or from personal experience of a good way to roll a burr onto the scrappers?

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 01:34:16 am »
I don't want to post an offsite link but if you google, "how to put a burr on a scraper" you will get several descriptions. It takes some practice (at least for me ::)). I'm still trying to get a nice consistent burr. my tendency is to over do it. When I've watched people like Gordon or John Strunk do it they use a pretty light touch and get a really nice burr.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 01:38:30 am »
ok, so does the burr differ from what amount of material you want to hunk off or is it about the same but the pressure applied is what controls that?