Author Topic: I'm P O'd  (Read 10573 times)

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: I'm P O'd
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2012, 07:58:03 pm »
Teachers are one facet, Administration is another. I talk to a lot of teacher's that think the "rules" are crap, but their job is on the line. Don't forget it was some whiney parent that brought these rules to the forefront. Having a kid is one thing......I sure as hell would not want to be doing these days with all the rediculious rules.... :-\
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2012, 01:13:39 pm »
I'm with Justin. Maybe your attorny should talk a little sense into him. He seems to have overstepped his bounds and decided that he knows what's best for the child, and that is wrong! Policy driven by extremely over-reactive parents is getting to be the norm and that is wrong too. Any parent who bases their decisions on second hand information from their kid is just stupid. Did anyone think to ask what the pictures were about before raising a big stink? The school has absolutely NO authority to tell your child that his lifestyle is wrong, when there is no wrong doing taking place. Heck, I can remember during all 3 years of high school on "student day", I was one of the guys getting on the bus with my shotgun and heading to the trap and skeet club for a day of shooting! Student day was a day when the teacher showcased their hobbies and the students got to decide what "class" they went to during the day. Everything from hot air ballooning, to skydiving demos, to model trains and R/C cars and planes, to arts and crafts, archery, cooking, etc. I don't even think they have student day anymore. What a shame.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2012, 01:19:00 pm »
Just wanted to add that this is as stupid as the school board who wants the deaf boy to sign his name, which is Hunter, differently because it violates the school weapons policy. Really??? He's signing his name with the ASL sign for hunter! What's he going to do, shoot someone with his fingers? Is he threatening anyone in any way? C'mon people! That school board doesn't deserve to have that bright young boy attend their school.

Stringman

« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2012, 03:03:19 pm »
Just wanted to add that this is as stupid as the school board who wants the deaf boy to sign his name, which is Hunter, differently because it violates the school weapons policy. Really??? He's signing his name with the ASL sign for hunter! What's he going to do, shoot someone with his fingers? Is he threatening anyone in any way? C'mon people! That school board doesn't deserve to have that bright young boy attend their school.
   ;D ;D

Ok, I work at a deaf school and am fluent in sign.  This gave me a great laugh! Thanks Tom.

Scott

Offline Traxx

« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2012, 01:18:50 am »
Anxious,to see how this plays out.Its a different day and not for the better either.No wonder,more people are opting for Home school these days.

Couple years ago,my daughter was singled out and picked on,because she told the class,that her dad hunted and we ate wild game and she liked it.Mostly it was the teacher,who was spouting PETA Propoganda to the students.Had a meeting with the Vice principle,who is also a hunter and that teacher,"Transfered".

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2012, 01:38:35 pm »
The wife just called me and said the meeting went really well. The Priciple didn't have a problem with hunting or shooting guns. He wants to talk to me about making bows. And the parent turned out to be one of the Columbine survivors, and he wasn't trying to make a big deal out of it.

The problem seems to be with the Grandson, ::). It seems he has be going out of the way to be cool and trying to shock people. He told the other kids he had blown the hogs head off, I packed a pistol all the time along with his Grandmother being a gun toting Momma, and the house was full of ammunition and guns. He basicly made the whole family sound like a Mini-Militia. And then there were the descriptions of the Video games he has been playing, too.

Well, there's going to be a little sitdown talk this afternoon and he is going to be the Star. And I think his video game playing and internet access is going to be greatly modified.

I'm glad I waited to get another version besides the 10 year old one.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline johnston

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2012, 02:49:35 pm »
Never know it to look at you Eddie, but you're a pretty smart guy. Ain't your first goat roping either is it?

Lane

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2012, 04:52:47 pm »
The grandson will not think this is such a wonderful "teachable moment", but it's probably going to have a good effect on him.  Better now than when he's 16 and nobody knows anything but him anymore!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2012, 06:07:05 pm »
Thanks, Lane, was that a vote of confidence? ??? ;)

John, you're right. I'm glad it happened now, I've been complaining about some of the video games he's been playing for awhile, and now his Mom and Dad are on top of it. I guess he won't be getting all of those video games he wanted for his Birthday Sunday.  He's watching Nickelodeon right now. ;D
Lakeland, Florida

Offline johnston

« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2012, 06:52:01 pm »
Maybe some of those western/rodeo dudes will chime in ( Texas would not exist but for South Carolina and Mexico ) but the
goat roping thing was just a tease ,ok ? Put down the gun.....easy now.

But yes , you handled the whole thing very well. My compliments.

Lane

Offline Kpete

« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2012, 01:49:23 am »

there ya go!  that fella is going to get to see some wood bows.  They fascinate a lot of people.   So Granny doesn't tote a gun :(

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2012, 12:10:46 pm »
  THEY'ED BETTER NOT TALK TO MY YOUNGEST SON (12) THEN OR SEE HIS KNIFE COLLECTION.  BELEIVE IT OR NOT WHEN HE TALKS RIFLES OR PISTOLS HE SPOT ON  98% OF THE TIME. He even has a trade point I made around his neck. He got taken to the office when his teacher took his combat knife mag. and sniper mags he had showing his friends. HE SAID DAD i DID GO A LITTLE OFF. We have the right to look at what we want. I SAID YOUR RIGHT. Sometimes you have to go off to prove your point.
  MULLET
   I under stand where your comeing from. I let it roll off my back and just explain things to my son. My old lady wanted to go down to the school and show them a real gun. She got pissed I had to put my pistols out in my bow shop. She gets a little out there sometimes MOST OF THE TIME.
                         AND SHE'S NOT A BAD SHOT
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2012, 03:25:58 pm »
Out of curiosity, what are the games he's playing? As a parent, a hunter, and a gamer I tend to have a pretty ballanced opinion of these things and can say with conviction that some of the popular ones out now will not be touched by my children until I know they're old enough to deal with it.  My opinion tends to be unique, but I think it's silly to allow a 9 year old to play a gamw you don't understand...especially when the major producers are are targeting late teens and early twenties.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2012, 01:05:52 am »
 I noticed three of them that I didn't approve of are Assasin's Creed, Border Lands, and Grand Theft Auto IV. The thing is he is very smart for a 10 year old, does understand the games and is in Advanced Classes in school.

Kpete: Grannie does tote a small .380 ;), and not a bad shot with my .45.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2012, 01:40:40 am »
I noticed three of them that I didn't approve of are Assasin's Creed, Border Lands, and Grand Theft Auto IV. The thing is he is very smart for a 10 year old, does understand the games and is in Advanced Classes in school.

10 years old is, in all honesty, usually more than old enough to understand the games...however, it's not old enough to react properly in some situations.  Like blowing the facts out of proportion for the sake of impressing friends.  In most circumstances I wouldn't consider the two related, though.

I wouldn't allow GTA, though.  I'm generally okay with violence in general, but GTA goes way overboard with a number of other things.  It's an adult game.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry