Author Topic: 2nd bow - this one didn't break! Also, how well do R.O. bows hold up over time?  (Read 3330 times)

Offline TheDeltaFactor

http://imgur.com/a/OhNmv

red oak, 61" NTN, about 50# at 28"

I used a board I first rejected because the grain ran out towards the ends, but there was enough straight grain to cut out the bow on the diagonal.

On my first bow I added a walnut riser and tip overlays, moose hide handle wrap, and generally took more time to finish it nicely. It broke anyway (I'm pretty sure because I didn't round out the edges of the back sufficiently). This one I kept simple, took the lessons learned from the first one, and I think it turned pretty well. I've got a few hundred arrows through it now, with no sign of any problems.

Now a question - what's the useful life on this thing? Like everybody else, I used red oak because of it's availability, not because it's the greatest bow wood.  Is there a trend towards R.O. bows dying young, or will I be handing it down to my grandchildren if I treat it right?

Offline H Rhodes

That's a good looking bow!  That one will be special to you, so don't let some gorilla get hold of it and overdraw it. ;)

I wish I could answer your question about a red oak's expected life span.  I have only been at this a couple of years, but my first one is still shooting fine.  I bet one of these more experienced guys will chime in shortly with some estimation.  I am curious how they hold up over time, myself. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

mikekeswick

The first thing is don't cut your nocks like that! Never touch the back itself at the nock area just cut into the sides. It might be worth putting a wrap on there to stop it failing there or sand flat then glue on an overlay.
You could also round the back edges a little more to eliminate the chances of a splinter lifting.
As to how long it will last...how long is a piece of string?? When well looked after  eg. never overdrawn , kept in a good RH, not stored standing up on one tip etc...a well made wooden bow can last many many years.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Good looking bow,as Mike said well taken care of wood bows last a long time,I have some 10 + years old still shoot fine.You are pushing the limit a bit with the length for that draw and may take some set over time but if all else is right it shouldn't break.Nice job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

I would definitely ad an overlay to those nocks to correct the back violation.

Offline coaster500

Nice shooter and some good advise above   ;)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline LimbLover

I'm new to this as well and until recently suffered from the misconception that bows without glass do not last. I felt the same way about wood arrows.

I don't worry about breaking gear anymore, especially when making it is the most fun. I hope I can eventually build one that will last. I've only made three. They shoot, but I know I made mistakes that will effect lifespan.

To me, a broken bow is an opportunity for growth, and to build another, better bow.

At least...that is what I told myself when my latest locust bow failed after working on it for a month.   :o

Offline TheDeltaFactor

I'm surprised by the comments about the nocks. I copied them from pictures of a bow made by one of the well-respected bowyers on the forums. I suspect he may have used overlays of the same wood as the bow, and it looked like he didn't use overlays at all. I'll have to see if I can dig up the picture.

Are the overlays necessary now just because the wood is too thin where the string pulls it? If the issue is back violation, there's nothing I can do about that, except shortening the limbs. I hope that's not necessary.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 03:14:09 pm by TheDeltaFactor »

Offline Steve Milbocker

I think what their saying is most pin nocks are flush on the back and not cut in as yours are. They look good though! Perhaps a sinew wrap below the nock would stop any tendency to split.
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline Weylin

doing an overlay is alot easier than it seems. here is a walk through that someone did here on the site. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,1729.0.html
 I'd recommend giving it a shot on this bow. It will give you piece of mind and it's an opportunity to add something pretty to your bow. (not saying that your bow needs prettying up.  ;)) I use ebony wood. it looks good, it's super hard and I can get cheap scraps from the local Woodcrafters. Something to think about, anyway. Good luck and nice looking bow, especially for your #2.  :)

Offline TheDeltaFactor

I'm sure I can do a good overlay on these, and that's what I'll probably do. Thanks for the input everybody.  :)

Offline SA

i am working on a siberian/finnic bow and the nocks are cut similarly (violating the back i guess) i had some reserves about doing it that way but if it was good enough for them then....well... i guess it's good enough for me ;)(they seem pretty solid though)   worth a try right,  here are a couple of pics, if it breaks i'll just make another bow.
Shawn Acker

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
I have seen it done several time,most times with no problem,other times big problems, looks good but ant worth the chance for me. :) sa yours are a little differend,almost like the back is the over lay,with the added support on the belly,at least if I am looking at it right. The sinew rap Steve mentioned would probably take care of it.  :) Good looking bow non the less. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
With a board bow cutting across the back is a whole different bird as quite often the grain isnt flat sawn to start with. Ring seperation is the concern with cutting through the back.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 01:43:57 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Denham Archer

I started making bows in 2006.  My first bow was make from a red oak board.  I'm still shooting it.  I broke the first three bows I tried to make (my own fault - impatient).  But I love red oak.  Made properly, I think red oak can take it's place along side just about any wood.  I have thought about trapping the back also.  The best bow I ever made was a white oak D type.  I built it to a guy's 26 in. draw length.  He let his son who is nine inches taller than him draw it . . . you guessed it - SNAP!