Author Topic: Horn tip tips?  (Read 3494 times)

Offline solodesperado81

Horn tip tips?
« on: August 21, 2012, 09:44:55 am »
Anyone have any good advice on how to shine up horn tips for an English longbow after its been sanded down?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Horn tip tips?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 10:08:10 am »
Steel wool - OOOO
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 10:17:15 am »
I read a post a while back about this question.  The suggestion was...your wife's "Magic Nail File".  The one that has 3 different grits.  So under the cover of darkness, I borrowed my wife's.  I used 1000 grit sand paper first, and then polished them up with the "Magic Nail File".  Worked like a charm.  Beautiful shiny finish!  Only problem was the abuse suffered by the dainty little critter.  It looked as though somebody had locked it in a vice and tried to polish buffalo horn with it!  Oh, and then left it on the shop floor so the dog could have its fun with it.  In my home, this would have been considered an unacceptable security breach.  So I bought her a new one from Walley World, and under the cover of darkness, replaced the original with the copy.  International crisis averted, and I have a horn polishing tool of my very own.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 10:30:16 am »
I got a polishing kit that goes to my dremel tool.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 10:57:14 am »
I read a post a while back about this question.  The suggestion was...your wife's "Magic Nail File".  The one that has 3 different grits.  So under the cover of darkness, I borrowed my wife's.  I used 1000 grit sand paper first, and then polished them up with the "Magic Nail File".  Worked like a charm.  Beautiful shiny finish!  Only problem was the abuse suffered by the dainty little critter.  It looked as though somebody had locked it in a vice and tried to polish buffalo horn with it!  Oh, and then left it on the shop floor so the dog could have its fun with it.  In my home, this would have been considered an unacceptable security breach.  So I bought her a new one from Walley World, and under the cover of darkness, replaced the original with the copy.  International crisis averted, and I have a horn polishing tool of my very own.

HA!
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Gaur

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 12:16:30 pm »
sand them as fine as you can and then buff them.  A little true oil on them then looks awesome
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 12:20:18 pm »
I like Slimbob's method... and story. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 12:18:12 am »
If you use a power tool to polish, be sure to keep the horn moving on the buffing wheel.  DO not let it build up heat or the horn will toast.  The smell is unpleasant, but then you have to scrape off the nasty brown crappy surface and re-polish!

Learned that the hard way on my first powderhorn.  Lovely black tips until they burnt brown and stinky!  Yech ???
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 04:45:03 pm »
Go to the local beauty supply and they've got foam nail boards that have as much as 8 different grits. You can get a very highly polished surface with them, or you can quit a little sooner so the finish will stick.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 05:02:11 pm »

HA!

HAHAHAHAHA OMGOSH!! Sounds like the next Mission Impossible movie. Just think you'll be played by Tom cruise lol ;D
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 05:48:25 pm »
I use a buffing wheel in my pillar drill (drill press) with polishing compound on it (or an electric drill will do fine).
Comes up like glass.
I bought a couple of small wheels and half a bar of 'Vonax' (redish brown stuff) and half a bar of 'Lustre' (creamy white)
I use wet & Dry paper first going down to 240 grade then maybe a quick rub with 400.
The vonax wheel gets it pretty shiny and then the lustre, blows you out of the water. ;D
Del
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 05:55:22 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 06:34:44 pm »
I did like SLIMBOB.  But, I got busted. ::)
Had to buy the wife another. ;D

That was years ago.

Now she just give me her old ones.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 06:42:11 pm »
I finish horn like Del does, but I use 320/400 grit paper, and then T-Cut on a cotton buffing wheel for the final finish.
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline Eastman

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 01:00:18 pm »
I've sanded them down with 300 grit and then put sanding sealer on. And then buffed up with a cloth. Not the best way, just how i do it. (:
''The joy is great of him who strays, in shady woods on summer days, With eyes alert and muscles steady , His long-bow strung, his arrows ready''  -Maurice Thompson