Author Topic: Bamboo backed yew?  (Read 5950 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Bamboo backed yew?
« on: August 19, 2012, 06:17:05 pm »
Anybody ever try a bamboo backed yew bow? Its gotta be smoking fast and super hard hitting. It seems yews compression would just love boo's tension?......................Im drippin spit out the side of my mouth right now........it just sounds like a perfect recipe.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bamboo backed yew?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 06:23:54 pm »
I've seen a few and it does make a sweet combo...but I would not take a perfectly good stave of any kind, especially yew and ruin it by decrowning and backing it. JMOP  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 06:43:59 pm »
Neither wood I Pat. But I would take some belly saw off's and splice them together.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 07:19:21 pm »
 :o  :o  :o I can't believe what I just read ??? Mr. I hate glue ups  :laugh:

I've seen a couple as well....I do have a couple pieces where the sapwood got tore up,but I took them anyways with the intention to back em with boo or hickory.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 09:14:44 pm »
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 11:48:23 pm »
You can't go wrong with yew and bamboo - it's a great combination.
Gordon

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 12:19:28 am »
Hmm wheels turning... :)
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Holten101

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 03:06:03 am »
Its a pretty usual combo. Gotta make the boo backing as thin as possible....even yew can be overpowered.

Since I like local materials im working on a hazel backed yew.....hazel is very light, good in tension and kinda soft like yew.

Cheers

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 03:28:48 am »
I don't think thinning it makes any diffence to it's tension strength. How can it? There are still the same amount of fibers doing the same work. Trapping however is a different story.
Good luck with your glue up!

Offline Holten101

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 06:57:16 am »
I don't think thinning it makes any diffence to it's tension strength. How can it? There are still the same amount of fibers doing the same work. Trapping however is a different story.
Now im no pro at laminated bows, so forgive my ignorence;-)

I thought that the shift towards the back, of the neutral plane, by thinning lam backs of boo and hick was one way to help relative weaker belly woods cope?

Cheers

Offline Keenan

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 09:27:36 pm »
One of my fastest bows was bamboo backed yew. Great combo!

mikekeswick

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 03:51:54 am »
Now im no pro at laminated bows, so forgive my ignorence;-)

I thought that the shift towards the back, of the neutral plane, by thinning lam backs of boo and hick was one way to help relative weaker belly woods cope?

Cheers

I make laminated (and self!) bows for a living and have played around with many different combos/thicknesses etc...all my testing has shown thin backs to actually perform a little worse than a thicker backing. If you have a compression weak wood that you just have to back with bamboo then make the backing thick enough to allow significant trapping and you will have no problems with the belly cyhrsaling. Thin boo has just the same tension resistance than a thicker piece as it's the outer power fibers that are doing the work.

Offline Holten101

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 04:57:54 am »
Thanks for clearing that up mikekeswick:-)

Cheers

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 01:22:30 pm »
Hmm wheels turning... :)

Billy

I think I know exactly which stick of yew you have in mind.  I had the same thought.  I suggest you have a heart to heart with your uncle.

Russ

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 02:03:28 pm »
actually, we got another... BUT out backup supply of yew trees and bushes was turned into woodchips a week ago... WOODCHIPS!. there is only one yew tree left... and it needs a few years to bear bows, but we can probably cut multiple lams out of our new stave.... i will talk to him about it next week
-BILLY
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.