Author Topic: Happy Tears  (Read 2485 times)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Happy Tears
« on: August 27, 2012, 01:23:44 pm »
This past weekend a little event in Lapeer, Michigan marked the end of this summer’s “shoot” season.  I pulled the “tin-tepee” in the drive and commenced unloading the bows, quivers, dirty clothes, diaper bags and empty coolers.  When the chore was done, I grabbed a beer, fired up the grill and sat on the folding chair Pappy sent home with us when we left Tennessee earlier this year.  The Little Woman (Miss Heather) came outside with tears in her eyes and a glass of wine.  Thinking maybe that she just received some bad news, I asked her what was wrong.  She said that they were happy tears but sad just the same; sad that the shoots were over for the year. 

I smiled.

Heather went on to say that while #1 (Dylan) and I were unloading she was feeding #2 (Dan, aka Wee-Wicki).  The Buckthorn bow hanging above the fireplace that Misslemaster gifted her had caught her attention.  From there, the plains bow from Half-eye, a bamboo bow from Robustus and a trade bow from Bryan Irwin.  Also above the mantel there stood the string making jig from Jon and a bamboo quiver from Mississippi Dave.  As she panned the living room special memories from this year kept appearing.  Displayed on our bookcase the “Tennessee Classic” armguard that she won in the raffle was next to the possibles bag that I received from BearG.  The knitted yellow baby cloth from Patsy Ray, Will’s CD, an arrow from Mr. Kowalski, Dan’s baby bow from Gary Davis, bone points, stone points, quivers, knives and atlatls.  The living room was peppered with gifts, trade items and memories, many signed by their makers.  She then turned attention to her bow; the bow that she made at The Classic.  She recalled all of the help she received making her first bow while being very pregnant.  Cracker, BearG, GregB, Seabass, Pappy, Gary, BCBull, Misslemaster, Dave from New York, Badger, Jon, Pat B and a slew of others all shared their time and expertise. 

Then getting the best of me, I briefly turned away to flip some corn and brats on the grill.  Truth be told, it was my opportunity to push back a tear which by then developed in my own eye.

“It’s been a great year. Thank you”, she said to me.  “Thank you for absolutely everything” 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Stringman

Re: Happy Tears
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 01:29:23 pm »
Thats good stuff, right there! Blessed and humbled... I often feel just the same. Thanks for sharing, Matt.

Scott

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 01:33:29 pm »
The party ain't over yet Matt....pack it all back up and come on down to flint ridge this weekend for one more   ;)  :laugh:

Thanks for sharing....the summer shoots are always fun,but what makes them the best are the people  8)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 04:14:24 pm »
The summer shoots and the friends I see at them are PRICELESS to me. Most I never get to see except at the shoots. I live for them and plan my summers around them. You tell Miss Heather it will all be okay we will all see her again a few months, some of us maybe a little sooner! Ya just never know! We have a Janurary Bownanza to plan out. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 11:08:38 pm »
Go get that woman a whomping big bouquet of flowers, get down on one knee, and thank her for every little thing she has ever done for you, and then apologize for everything you have ever said/done/thought/or left undone. 

She is a KEEPER!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 11:12:56 pm »
Great story Matt.  And I agree w/ JW, With an attitude to archery like her's, Miss Heather is a keeper!! dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 07:27:20 am »
Great story Matt,I would expect that from her, :)we love you guys. :) See ya in December,won't need the tin tepee but hope you need the bows arrows and such. :) ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 03:00:56 pm »
You're on a good path I'd say...very special!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 05:16:59 pm »
Yep I saw it coming !
She lite right up when I told her to get behind you in your archery addiction !!
I knew then she was a precious gift !
Hope to see you both in Jan!
Next year don't unpack till after Ridge !!!!
missing you already
Guy
Miss Heather I know you are reading this and there is a hug waiting for you !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline seabass

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 06:00:45 pm »
i miss you guys too.i had alot of fun hanging out with all of you at the classic.you have a wonderful family and i am glad to have met ya.don't worry,it will all start over next spring.see you then,Steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline cracker

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 09:59:20 pm »
Really enjoyed meeting you guys and getting to hang out a little in TN. look forward to seeing you guys again next year. By the way tell Miss Heather I'll try to be a little more organized this time so I won't have to ask her to hunt down the contributors for the dinner. By the way if I were a fugitive I wouldn't want Miss Heather on my trail. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 09:37:32 am »
We'd go to Flint Ridge, only we have plans to visit my parents this weekend.  It will also be a great time.  Grandma and Grandpa will spoil Wee-Wicki & Dylan.  Hmm, maybe I'll bring a bow to scrape on....   ;D
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 03:16:16 pm »
Happy Tears indeed - She is indeed a keeper too....  So very often that we do not take the time to recognize and rememeber all of the small things in the world that keep us sane and happy. Thanks to all of you  for making the world brighter.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 06:04:59 am »
You're a very lucky Man, She's definatly a keeper My Friend ! Looking forward to seeing You all at Camp and " Babysitting" Wee around the campfire  ;). Uncle Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.