Author Topic: Oh Happy Day! (I got to work on a bow!) Finished pics, fixed image size  (Read 11527 times)

Offline okie64

Re: Oh Happy Day! (I got to work on a bow!) Finished pics, fixed image size
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2012, 07:41:12 pm »
Very nice bend on that bow. That plum is some pretty wood. What happened to the giant redwood tree pic??? I was lookin forward to seein that tree again.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2012, 10:03:39 pm »
Well shoot, you guys are an easy crowd  ;) I really do appreciate all the kind words, but y'all build bows out of tricky woods like Osage and Elm and Walnut for pete's sake. Plum is a wlak in the park.  ::) ::)
Gabe

Are you joking buddy? You need some yellow wood....and stat! It may be hard on the arms, but you sure dont have to be careful....or good to get a bow from it....look at me!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2012, 01:06:34 am »
looks really awesome! Makes me want plum.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2012, 05:42:53 am »
WOW,id be plumb tickled  ::) i know tackey...but i wood >:D sweet bow man!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2012, 10:43:24 am »
What everybody else said...All rolled into one post!
Beautiful work

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline Deo

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2012, 06:14:16 pm »
Whats up gabe glad to see that everything is going good for you man. Nice bow by the way love how you left the bark on and then took it off at the tips. When are we going to get together? I got buddy going to hsu as well who makes his own bows. You will have to meet him. Contact me so we can hang out soon.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2012, 07:17:13 am »
Sweet as I said before,did you add the bark on the back or leave the bark on the stave? I have tried leaving it on Hickory saplings and eventually cracked, I guess as it dried out. Just curious. Nice tiller and finish work is exceptional. :) With that profile it's has to send an arrow down range pretty darn quick. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2012, 02:32:01 pm »
Thanks Pappy,

Yeah, I left the bark.  With plum (at least purple leaf plum) if the stave is from a small diameter branch (less than 3 or 4 inches), the bark is usually safe. Especially if you scrape down past the outer 'crust' (still technically not too the inner bark, but past the really coarse stuff). 

If you sand the bark down smooth with 60 grit then 80 than 150 than 240 and finally hit it with some steel wool, it makes a super rich reddish beautiful color. I didn't go all the way on this one, but it still came out ok.  Also a Sap Sucker had been pecking at the upper limb (while it was still on the tree) and made a nice row of holes that I decided to leave for "effect."

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2012, 02:33:50 pm »
It does get the arrows down range quick, I just been shooting lousy groups. Not ready to take her up the hill like I was hoping...  :'(. May have to go rifle this year. Unless I get a 10 yard shot.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.