Author Topic: A few yew sticks  (Read 12471 times)

Offline Weylin

Re: A few yew sticks
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 06:23:05 pm »
careful, I've heard that people that work mostly with osage have a tendency to make their first yew bows too light because they take too much off. It takes more yew to make a bow than osage. I recommend following John Strunk's chapter in TBB1 about the yew long bow. I have made two bows following that design and I'm really happy with them. Definitely huntable.

Offline seabass

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 06:59:06 pm »
yew rule Chris.keep those pics coming.looking forward to this one.
Middletown,Ohio

blackhawk

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 08:01:41 pm »
dang that thing looks so perfectly straight it looks like a board....dang,give that thing back to me >:D

Offline seabass

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 09:49:35 pm »
i think he should finish it,then give it back to you Blackhawk.that would be the right thing to do. ;)
Middletown,Ohio

blackhawk

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 10:06:46 pm »
i think he should finish it,then give it back to you Blackhawk.that would be the right thing to do. ;)

;D

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 11:14:03 pm »
Watching too! That is some good looking wood, can't wait to see it done. I'm sure you'll end up with something real nice with your build'n
skills.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 12:19:53 am »
Well its reflexed 3" now. I have read many times over that yew tends to spring back. I got lucky because this one stuck like glue, it may have popped back 15% or so. Pretty cool deal. Im thinking about backing out of the rawhide idea and just laying some timber rattler over the back. Its a 62" snake and plenty thick. I dont have more than two hours into this thing, amazingly easy wood to work.

And all you ya-hoo's thinking its going back to Chris' place when Im done can give up already. He has his own pile of yew, a touch of skill, and some good tools to make his own stinkin' bow!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2012, 12:26:52 am »
Nice!  Please post dimensions when you get done.  I am venturing into yew territory soon as well.  Josh

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2012, 06:44:47 am »
Yes Sir,

I'll be watching...

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline dwardo

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2012, 08:33:09 am »
I am just in the middle of a shortish yew snakey and an elb.
I have to keep telling my self to put down the sharp tools as yew tends to pull up grain like no other wood its soo soft.

The yew snakey i am doing also kicks like a mule which i have never had in a bow before. Will have to post it up to get some extra eyes on it.

Looking good PD ;)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2012, 09:28:58 am »
My Shinto is invalubale.................again. Not one tiny splinter pulled up and Im 75% tillered. I love that tool and plan to buy many more.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2012, 09:42:15 am »
Here is wher I am now. What a perfect piece of wood.

blackhawk

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 10:18:15 am »
Looking like a timeless classic in the making there pal.... ;).....can't wait for it to show up at my door >:D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2012, 01:09:58 pm »
Dream on Chickenhawk, or whatever your name is....

Gotta have buff horn on yew bows right? Here is my bottom tip. I ended up chasing a micro sapwood ring with my scrapers and got a sweety back, no rawhide.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2012, 02:46:12 pm »
If anyone was stupid enough  skilled enough to chase a micro ring on yew sapwood, it would be yew, Pearl Bum. 

Just remember to handle this bow like it is the finest cut crystal champagne flute.  Without a doubt, yew will scratch and get dings just by looking ar it hard!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.