Author Topic: It's alive! ALIVE! Actually, it shoots!  (Read 12569 times)

Offline Mike_H

Re: It's alive! ALIVE! Actually, it shoots!
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2012, 11:31:29 pm »
I plan on using knapped points on hand crafted shoot arrows.

One thing that as suggested to me on www.paleoplanet.net, that even though this bow is to be retired, I could still learn from it by playing with the tiller trying to get it where it should be.  She could still be shot but at a much lower poundage.  So I think that is what I will do.  Use this bow as a learning aid.  It won't be shot as is but when the tiller is nearer to typical.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2012, 11:33:30 pm »
Just be careful man! wear some eye protection if you can! thats the best advice i can give you for a bow that could break.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2012, 11:48:57 pm »
If a bow breaks, it's telling you to leave it alone!  Don't risk being maimed by messing around with this one any further...even at lower poundage!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2012, 02:31:12 pm »
well, I tried it again.  And noticed that the repair was not holding as well as I had hoped.  I purposefully over drew it on my tillering tree (I was about 10 ft away from the bow and wearing safety glasses).  I decided to break it completely myself by hand ( safer that way, no way of exploding).  That was a serious learning experience.  You guys were right, I should have scrapped it once it broke, even though it was my own impatience that caused it to break in the first place.

Ah well,  lesson learned, on to the next one when the stave arrives.  :)

Offline Weylin

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2012, 03:21:48 pm »
Have you searched around your area for friendly and knowledgeable bowyers? Having some hands on help is more valuable than anything else in my opinion. It's better than reading books and I'd argue that it's better than making and breaking 20 bows on your own. I'm sure you've learned alot through your trials but you may also be repeating the same sorts of mistakes with every bow. I was lucky enough to start off under the guidance of a good bowyer and when I moved to Oregon I searched out local bowyers and found a wealth of experience and knowledge. Help from people like Gordon and John Strunk have improved my bow making skills by light years. I shudder to think of the bows I'd be making without their guidance. I still have a lot to learn and i don't need to bug Gordon as much anymore but it sure gave me a good start. Just something to think about, plus, it's more fun to work on bows with other people. What area do you live in?

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2012, 03:31:25 pm »
Maine, Greater Portland area.

I know Stim Wilcox is a several hours north of me but gas prices prohibit that trip.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2012, 03:49:19 pm »
Ha, you're in the wrong Portland! There are tons of bowyers out here.  :P I'd try putting the word out on this site and Paleoplanet. You might be surprised who comes out of the woodwork.

Offline bubby

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2012, 04:39:13 pm »
don't worry if there isn't another bowyer around to work with, it'd be great but i've personally never even met another guy building bows, just take your time on the first few and check out builds on here and ask ton's of ?, there's no stupid question's, stupid answers yes, but not question's >:D, luck with the stave, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2012, 04:45:39 pm »
Between here, Paleoplanet and Youtube (reputable boweyers) I think I have my bases covered. :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2012, 04:46:42 pm »
What took me the longest to accept was the fact that I needed to make it bend where it wasnt and leave it alone where it was bending. As simple as that sounds, its hard to follow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2012, 05:58:03 pm »
 My biggest problem is that I am impatient.  I just need to slow down.