Author Topic: It's alive! ALIVE! Actually, it shoots!  (Read 12570 times)

Offline Mike_H

Re: It's alive! ALIVE! Actually, it shoots!
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2012, 06:07:13 pm »
unbraced

Braced

Full draw

I'd say I got lucky.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2012, 06:49:52 pm »
With all due respect Mike, your NUTS if you shoot that bow anymore. Your going to get hurt. Start another one man. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2012, 07:00:54 pm »
If I had the money do start another, I would.  But I don't.  That's the problem with being poor. (I'm piggybacking off of a neighbors wifi)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2012, 07:06:58 pm »
Thats fine, just dont shoot that bow. Wait until you can spend another 6-8$ on a hickory or oak board and start another, this time get the limbs bending and not the handle. Thats what got you on this one.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2012, 07:34:59 pm »
I know.  But I think I can fix that with a bit more tillering.  It is holding quite well though.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2012, 07:46:09 pm »
Mike sent ya a pm
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2012, 07:59:07 pm »
Mike sent ya a pm

Got it and replied.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2012, 08:12:53 pm »
If i were you, i would listen to these people. I said the SAME thing. 'oh i can fix it  ::)' then when the bow was ready to be shot i shot it a few times, put it on the tillering stick at draw, SNAP. Just like that a bow will break, trust me when i say, if that bow explodes and it hits your eye, you wont really be too happy. Med expenses will be high and you will be very sorry you chose to continue.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2012, 08:23:09 pm »
Well, don't worry, I'm out of arrows anyway.  I would have to make more.

I held her at full draw for about a minute and nothing,  Drew it back not too long ago and nothing,  I really think I got her repaired but as I said, no arrows.

Besides, Coaster500 is generously sending me a stave.  Dunno what it is or what size but I will really take my time.  Just hope I can work it before the cold weather hits as my "workshop" is my back porch.

Oddly enough though, none of the bows I have attempted actually exploded, they all generally cracked or splintered as this one did,  Guess I've been lucky so far.

Offline bubby

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2012, 08:25:58 pm »
Well, don't worry, I'm out of arrows anyway.  I would have to make more.

I held her at full draw for about a minute and nothing,  Drew it back not too long ago and nothing,  I really think I got her repaired but as I said, no arrows.

Besides, Coaster500 is generously sending me a stave.  Dunno what it is or what size but I will really take my time.  Just hope I can work it before the cold weather hits as my "workshop" is my back porch.

Oddly enough though, none of the bows I have attempted actually exploded, they all generally cracked or splintered as this one did,  Guess I've been lucky so far.
NEVER HOLD A WOOD BOW AT FULL DRAW
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2012, 08:32:09 pm »
Bubby, it was only long enough to take the picture.  That's why I built the tillering tree.  I ain't that stupid. :P

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2012, 08:35:38 pm »
Oh well, here's to the next one working out.  I've learned a lot on this build, mostly to go slow and be patient. 

Thanks to everyone for the support and advice, present and future.  This isn't the last, just first of many.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2012, 11:00:06 pm »
Good to hear that you are still enthusiastic about making more bows! it was a bit disappointing that the one i had made broke. but i realized that i was not going to make it to a higher level of bow making by quitting. never even crossed my mind.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2012, 11:07:13 pm »
I've tried to make a bow way too many times to let it get me down.  I will make a good bow eventually, I just have to keep at it.  And it will be a hunting bow.

Funny thing, I have not hunted before and decided to start primitive.  Kinda crazy, huh?

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2012, 11:13:28 pm »
I am the same way! i really dont want to use my factory made recurve! it is SO fast, yet it wouldnt be the same! I want my first kill to be with a traditional bow!  ;)