Author Topic: It's alive! ALIVE! Actually, it shoots!  (Read 12568 times)

Offline Mike_H

Re: It's alive! ALIVE! Actually, it shoots!
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 06:32:04 pm »
Here's two better pictures

Offline Weylin

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 07:44:40 pm »
I'm not an expert on Molly's (or anything for that matter  :P) I'm working on my first one right now as well. That being said, it looks like your bow is doing too much work off the fades and not enough through the rest of your working limbs. Has your bow taken any set yet? an unbraced picture would help to see what's going on as well. the Mollegabet is a highly stressed design because of the short working area, you want as much of those limbs working as possible or you maybe be looking at trouble.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 07:49:28 pm »
There's about 1.5" of set but it's not getting worse.  The handle bends slightly but it is also backed.  I may have to take some wood off the lower the draw weight anyway.  It's a little heavy for me.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2012, 11:07:41 am »
Hey, good to see you caught it! I like it a lot!  8) congratulations
Don't shoot!

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2012, 11:18:27 am »
Definitely not bad for an early bow of that design. I kind of agree with Weylin that it looks like it might be bending a little too much at the fades which seems to be a common problem I ran into with that design. It may appear that way because your handle is bending some, though. Mine are usually stiff. I really love the "no stack" draw on this design, too. Congrats!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 05:35:59 pm »
Thanks guys.  I'm just surprised she's holding together!

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 06:52:24 pm »
Another quick update.  I just worked on the upper limb and it looks and shoots much better,  It has dropped a few bounds and is much easier for me to draw and I know she's still a good hunting weight.  I'll get pics when she has had time to rest.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2012, 07:47:12 pm »
There was a little problem.  You can see it here http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/reply/451761/Here-she-is-#reply-451761

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2012, 08:21:03 pm »
thats a great feeling, but isnt that a little large for a molly?
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2012, 09:33:50 pm »
thats a great feeling, but isnt that a little large for a molly?

almostapighunter made one that was slightly larger than mine. 

Before it broke, I had her shooting really sweet.  hopefully the repair will hold.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 07:58:28 am »
Congrats on a shooter,had my doubts from the first Video but you look like you pulled it off. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2012, 09:57:25 am »
Not so fast there Pappy.  It broke.

But seems to be holding with the repair job I gave it.  I did a little bend test this morning and the crack didn't come up so I'm also going to wrap it equal lengths from the handle and glue that down as insurance.  I hope this works cause I can't afford to make another.

~Mike

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2012, 10:17:04 am »
oops,you have to be sure when you cut in fads/or the levers on the other end that they don't bend, where the 2 meet, violating the longitudinal grain and bending don't mix.Sorry ,maybe the repair will hold. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2012, 10:58:31 am »
that wasn't the problem.  I just when too far too fast when I was stretching the wood.  I'm gluing it down again and will wrap it like I said.   Before the crack opened up again, the tiller was still spot on. Go with that dreaded "f" material and wrap the area to keep it down.  But I think I'll try fabric first.

Offline Mike_H

She lives again!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2012, 03:17:07 pm »
The repair holds.  She's shooting just as good as she ever did with a little extra hand shock.  Not surprising though, she has a slight twist in the bottom limb (that's where the break was) because the split lifted slightly but will not go though the fabric wrapping that I glued over the fades and handle.  Also she gained an extra 1/4" in set but that is not getting worse.  I think it's safe to say I brought her back from the dead.  For which I call her "Resurrection".

I'll have pics soon.