Author Topic: Elm suckers?  (Read 2470 times)

Offline Chassit

Elm suckers?
« on: August 19, 2012, 04:54:50 pm »
We have an elm stump at the duplex I live in that whoever never killed off so it grows piles of suckers every year.  I was wondering if these would make good arrows.  They are pretty straight and are of various widths.  Anyways, any input would be welcome.
Danno from Colorado

A tout le monde
A tout mes amis
Je vous aime
Je dois partir

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Elm suckers?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 05:25:19 pm »
Most tree shoots will make arrows, some better than others. Cut a few shoots that are less than 1/2" at the butt end and bundle them together for a few months and give them a try.
If you can find shoots 2" to 3" in diameter cut them for bow staves.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Chassit

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 05:26:33 pm »
Excellent will do :)  thanks!
Danno from Colorado

A tout le monde
A tout mes amis
Je vous aime
Je dois partir

Offline Chassit

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 12:06:33 pm »
So I stealthily cut a couple of them off and stripped the bark.  I think they will do nicely.  There are a couple in the 2-3" range in there that I am really interested in.  they have a lot of shoots coming off of them so I dunno how knotty they will be but as soon as I see the maintenance person around I will ask her if its ok that I cut and harvest them.  I don't see why it wouldn't be but people can be weird hahah.  I also was able to get some nice strips of bark that I think will make nice bindings if soaked just before I use them.  Thanks again for all the input
Danno from Colorado

A tout le monde
A tout mes amis
Je vous aime
Je dois partir

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 07:22:48 pm »
Offer to make her a bow.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Scowler

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 08:34:32 pm »
I've made arrows from several different types of wood but never Elm.  Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Offline Chassit

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 10:17:58 am »
Well the maintenance lady was happy not to have to cut them herself and I got some good materials that are now seasoning.  Unfortunately there weren't any suitable for bow making but I think I can get some nice projectiles out of this stash.  :)
Danno from Colorado

A tout le monde
A tout mes amis
Je vous aime
Je dois partir

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 11:58:42 am »
  Don't use first years suckers. Let them season with the bark on or they really warp. I've made just a few elm arrows there perty tuff. Put like those suckers, cut trees is the only way to get them then it's just a couple at a time.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING