Author Topic: Using the "other side".  (Read 3392 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Using the "other side".
« on: June 15, 2012, 03:25:52 am »
So I spent some time hammering, splitting, grinding, and trimming feathers today.  Then I look at the "trash pile" and think, why can't one use the other side of the quill in cases where it's tall enough.  So I figured I'd try it.  I haven't shot the arrow yet but so far I love the look and the idea of it.  NO trimming to do other than for the tie down tabs.  Low profile long fletching should be stable and fast.  Mostly they are fast and look super primitive !
 Pics later.

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
Re: Using the "other side".
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 05:49:35 am »
A picture is worth a thousand words!
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline Scowler

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 09:03:53 am »
I would think that, if the "undersides" are all from the same side (left wing or right wing), they would work well.  But there is only one way to find out.  Keep us posted.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 05:48:39 pm »
They should work just fine. Just remember that each feather has a left side and a right side so keep them seperate.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 10:58:20 am »
  I gotten hard up and used them before. They worked fine and your right they do look more primitive.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 03:33:55 pm »
It works.  Didn't get pics cause I decorated the woods with them at the 3-d today.

Offline JMcCauley

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 01:09:03 am »
I always use the other side. It is more efficient because you get twice as many and I actually find it easier to get them set properly.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 02:12:01 am »
Ok, I'm confused.  What is the other side of the feather?
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Chassit

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 10:25:54 am »
Ok, I'm confused.  What is the other side of the feather?

Yeah, what he said...
Danno from Colorado

A tout le monde
A tout mes amis
Je vous aime
Je dois partir

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 05:30:19 pm »
When you look at a feather, the quill runs down the center and the fletchings are on both sides of the quill. If you split the quill down the middle you will have two fletchings to work with...but remember one is a right and the other is a left so don't mix them up.  Some primary feathers have very little "feather" in the forward edge of the feather so you only get one good side but the secondary and tail feathers have 2 good sides.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Chassit

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 08:24:50 pm »
Oh I am totally visualizing it, thanks!
Danno from Colorado

A tout le monde
A tout mes amis
Je vous aime
Je dois partir

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 12:35:49 am »
Thanks Pat.

I supposed I should have ask my more in depth.  Say I have a primary feather from the right wing of a turkey.  So, the bottom is the only side of the quill with enough feather/fletching to use on an arrow.  So, I should be using my "right wing" fletching jig???  If it's a secondary feather from the right side of the turkey, then I would use a "right wing" jig for the bottom and a "left wing" jig for the top side of that feather???
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 12:42:33 am »
On a right wing feather you use the trailing edge for a right wing fletch. On feathers that have 2 good sides the forward edge will be left wing and the trailing edge will be the right wing feather.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 12:56:39 am »
Thanks again Pat.  I can always count on you for answers.  That's what I thought after about 20 trial and error attempts last January from my Christmas 3R gift card purchased fletching jig.  Eventually, I was making a decent arrow because of stubborness not to give up.  Now, I'm think why?  I like 2 fletched arrows better anyhow.  haha  They look more primitive.  They lay in the quivver better.  They lay against the bow better if you want to stalk with an extra arrow in hand.  And, the shoot just as well at hunting distance of under  15 yards.  And they are a heck of lot easier to make. 
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 04:06:56 pm »
I have used it (but then backsides only) and not noticed any problems.
Don't shoot!