Author Topic: dangit  (Read 3724 times)

kdub

dangit
« on: September 18, 2007, 12:37:15 pm »
i was recently given an old lemonwood bow, when shooting it this weekend i heard a small cracking noise, and upon examination revealed the start of a crack in the wood, about 1/2 in long, not very deep.  should i retire this bow or try to fix it.  If it is fixable what would be a good way to go about it? should i glue it, back it or what?

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: dangit
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 12:46:46 pm »
A picture would help,where is it cracked ? ???
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

kdub

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 12:51:05 pm »
its cracked on the back of the bow about a 8 inches above the grip. is back the right word fot the part of the bow facing away from me when i hold it?

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 01:05:22 pm »
Yes that is the right word.Is it cracked across the limb or running length ways with the limb. :)
If it is cracked across the limb from side to side retire it if it is running length ways with the limb you may be able to fix it. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 01:11:46 pm »
The problem with old bows ,is they tend to be dried out. If the crack runs with the length of the bow ,you can glue it back. Make sure to clamp it. Then I would try to rehydrate the bow.
     Bone oil into it ,rub it with a thin oil then rub the surface with a smooth hard rod (like a ham bone) for several minutes .The bow will get warm and this will help the oil work into the wood. Bone the bow ,a couple times a day for a week or two. I gradually move to thicker oils so by the time I've got the bow about done I'm using bacon grease.

Backing it is a good idea too.

Ralph

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 09:38:53 pm »
Like Pappy said, pictures would be nice.  It all depends on what the grain of the wood is like, if it is worth trying to fix or not.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah