Author Topic: Hickory backed maple molle - lams & full draw pics added  (Read 9514 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Bending & heat treating
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 11:38:42 am »
Thanks, Rich. I got the rest of that osage board I bought I may cut part of it into lams. If I run into a snag, I'll let you know.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 06:09:54 pm »
That seems to be par for the course with whitewoods being steamed. They seem to take dry heat better. Why not just make a bow with what you have? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline dwardo

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 07:52:01 am »
If it's chrysalled, IMO all you will achieve is making them worse...
They go surprisingly deep. I reworked an old 60# Elm ELB into a 30# bow by taking down the chrysalled belly, they went about 4mm deep and I never really got 'em all out.
I think chrysals are natures way of telling you to start another bow ;D and be thankful it just chrysalled and didn't blow >:D.
A chrysalled bow will still shoot but is always going to be a bit puddingy...
Del

I was mid way through an ash bow recently and havent used ash in ages. Lately i have been lucky enough to work pretty dense woods such as cherry and yew. Ash is not cherry or yew.
It was a bit of an expeiment so i went pretty short say 64 and only about 1 3/8 wide stiff handle and reflexed the tips.
Right from the off i was starting to get early set so rather than take down the weight i decided to heat treat, that worked for a bit.
Then the set kept coming back, tiller was ok but something was wrong all the way with weight dropping all the time, only a few lbs but enough to say some thing was wrong.
Eventually I started to see small chrystals and eventually it got worse on both limbs.
Once i see chrystals i know it all over and its only worth proceeding for experiments sake.

Basically I did everything wrong, too short, not wide enough, too higher weight for the design.
Another good idea would be to work under a good light so very early chrystals are easier to spot so changes can be made to maybe save the bow.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 08:51:13 am »
Thanks Dwardo. I decided to try adding some belly lams. Not sure what I am going to use. I thought about osage or ipe, but the thought of using crepe myrtle keeps coming back up in my mind.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Bending & heat treating- pic added
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2012, 03:23:04 pm »
OK...I decided to take Pearlie's advice and do the osage lam thing which was also given the nod by Half Eye. Here is how it turned out. (Don't say a word about my messy work table. I have everything organized where I can find it! ??? )

The other limb...

I haven't re-tillered yet, but the bow is almost dead flat right now. That osage sure is pretty next to that white wood. I am really excited about the prospect of saving this bow. I'll keep you posted.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:24:12 am by lesken2011 »

Offline half eye

Re: Bending & heat treating - lams & pics added
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 04:39:17 pm »
Looks great Kenny....those feather edges are terrific,sir.
rich

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 04:48:55 pm »
PRESTO! You will be glad you didnt leave it alone and start another so quick. Go ahead and start another by all means! Just be sure to give this one all you got before you hang it up. I believe you have Kenny.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2012, 05:18:58 pm »
I did this same thing with a 60" osage static recurve I built with wood that was 2 months off the stump. Even though it worked like dry wood and felt like dry wood this bow began to take on excessive set and fretted at the handle on both limbs. After a few months I added thin strips of Argentine osage to the belly and put the bow into reflex while it cured. After retillering the bow came out 10# heavier and shot like a dream. It was my elk hunting bow last year. I also added cherry bark backing to it for a camo effect.
  You will be surprised how well this bow shoots for you. You did a beautiful job on the lamination.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2012, 05:27:53 pm »
Thanks, guys. I have it on the tiller tree, now. I wanna make sure the tiller is better this time. I did pick up a good bit of weight, Pat, so I have some room. I'll post some pics when it is finished.

By the way, PD. You remember the post about ADD? I have 3 different bows going, right now. It's the only way I can keep from rushing one. If I get too anxious to finish it, like taking too much wood off too fast, then I put it aside and work on another for a while till the urge subsides. It's my remedy for a lack of patience.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 07:53:41 am »
Nice save,looks good. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 10:27:40 am »
So never having done any laminations before, I have to ask, how did you get the two surfaces to mate up properly for glue up?? sorry for the newb question

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2012, 08:49:19 pm »
On this one, I used the bend in the belt sander. The goal was to flatten the belly eliminating the rounded edges, otherwise the belly was relatively flat. Long smooth strokes from fade to fade got it pretty close. I cut the lams to about 3/32, kinda, between 1/16 and 1/8. I was afraid the 1/8 might be a little thick to bend at the fades right. I used TBII since in didn't need much and had a little left in a bottle I wanted to use. I let it set a full 24 hrs and got lucky, I guess. It picked up some weight and took some of the set out. It shoots real snappy, now.

Offline half eye

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2012, 08:57:10 pm »
There ya go, sir......now ya aint gotta hunt no Quadriplegic deers,eh? >:D
rich

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2012, 10:22:51 pm »
Pictures....................
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2012, 10:32:32 pm »
I gotta do the tips and dress it up first. Patience... ;)