Author Topic: Dacite - Love It  (Read 8252 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Dacite - Love It
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 08:21:16 pm »
Thanks everybody.  I went back out last night and got a rude reminder of how easy the dacite was.  First I busted into a chunk I got from Cipriano and was pleasantly surprised with what was inside...

From there on it went downhill as it was so round on one side I could not get an angle to thin it.  I pretty much have a flint tennis ball now. :-[

So I grabbed a larger cobble and had a nice preform started, hoping for a blade when...

I snapped it.  I think I hit just a little too high and with raw flint like that I was really swinging. Interestingly enough, I got the thinning flake I wanted, which also broke in half.  Weird.  I'm sure missing that dacite now.  Might go look for another piece of it. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 09:18:39 pm »
MAN, I bet that felt good when you drove that ridge off!!  Great Looking Point Too!   dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 12:33:04 am »
George, that Dacite looks good. 
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Josh B

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 03:22:45 pm »
That's a nice one George!  I haven't tried dacite yet.  I might have to get some.  Josh

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 08:20:34 pm »
Thanks guys. Roger really captured the essence of dacite, it's black butter for sure.  It is easily the nicest to work stone I've used. It makes me feel like a better knapper than I am.  Good stuff, get some if you can.

George
St Paul, TX