Author Topic: Ipe and Helmsman  (Read 3653 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Ipe and Helmsman
« on: August 14, 2012, 10:03:08 pm »
I finally finsihed off an BBI I started a year ago. I have had issues sealing ipe in the past with Deft, so I avoided it this time. I used Helmsman rather. Well 9 days later its starting to harden up......finally. Just thought I would share what I learned.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
Re: Ipe and Helmsman
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 10:44:59 pm »
Is it from the oils in the wood?
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 11:32:31 pm »
Did you try any shellac first? It worked pretty well on one of my bows, dried quickly, and the poly final coats stuck well and dried pretty fast after.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 12:55:56 am »
Pearly let's see pics..  8)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 01:15:17 am »
Shellac is the ticket. It sticks to anything and anything sticks to it. I keep a spray can of Bullseye shellac on my work bench all the time. Good stuff.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 07:08:11 am »
I have had the same trouble with ipe and Tru Oil, if I ever do another ipe I will try shellac. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 07:53:43 am »
I didnt use shellac, sounds liek I should have. Its hardening down finally, but i was getting nervous. If you have never had to strip a semi gooey bow.............dont! Its a nasty job.

Thanks guys
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 08:23:49 am »
Been there done that and it is a mess. :( Glad it worked out,looking forward to seeing it.
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DQ

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 09:34:44 am »
Will shellac seal over the oily carp skins I just put on a bow?  It's been about a week and the oil is still leaking out of them.  I'm afraid I won't ever be able to finish this one.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 09:54:53 am »
I've only done one set of Carp skins,I washed them good with Dawn dishwashing
lequid before I started and they work out fine,not sure if your are already glued and leaking oil, does the glue you used seem to be holding ? Seem to me it wouldn't stick,sorry Pearl for the thread hijack.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DQ

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 09:58:56 am »
Oops, sorry PEARL, should have started a new post on this. In fact, I think I will.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 10:20:19 am »
Hi jack away fella's. Im nowhere that sensitive!

Offline country

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 11:04:46 am »
on the ipe....are you putting shellac first, then going over with something else (helmsman varnish etc.)  or jut using the shellac..... ?   Just curious.... got an ipe in progress  ... Thanks ::)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 11:10:06 am »
On the hbi, I recently did. I put about 3 coats of shellac on with light sanding in between, then a couple of coats of quick drying satin poly. It dried pretty fast and looked pretty good. My pre-finish sanding has improved since then, though. I think the next one will look much better.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 12:55:35 pm »
I recommend spray laquer (I use Minwax) for both ipe and boo.   Shellac dries also, but I find the laquer to be clearer.

Russ