Author Topic: Planning My First Bow (Mollegabet style, wait no now Pyramid Style)  (Read 9525 times)

Offline HighlandRanger

I have decided to add bowyer to my list of accomplishments. I have loved archery for the past 15 years and just this past few weeks, circumstances have led me to wanting to make my first selfbow. To start it all off, my son and I went deer hunting for the very first time this year (with rifles) and that got me to thinking about hunting with my longbow. I own a PSE Heritage Series Marksman 60#.

The very week that I was thinking about getting my longbow setup for hunting I received a call from a coworker and he said "I heard you make bows" and I said "I don't, but I shoot them", he proceeded to tell me how his father was cutting down a row of Osage Orange trees on his property and wanted to know if I wanted any of it... to which I promptly responded yes! So, later that week as I was stinging up my longbow I started to pull it back and pulled back about 3/4 draw and heard it crack and saw that it had de-laminated and caused a hinge to occur. I immediately removed the string and decided it was now a wall hanger.

This got me thinking I should go ahead and make a first bow before the Osage Orange arrives after the first of the year. I researched bow making and decided that for my first bow, I was going to make a Red Oak Board Bow in a Mollegabet style. I bought two boards 1x2x6 with really nice late growth and very little early growth and the grain is really straight. I bought two, because my 13 year old son will also be making one and we will make them together.

So, here is the dimension drawing of the bow I am planning...comments are welcome. I have borrowed ideas from other bows I have seen that I have liked as well. Being that my background is Scottish/Irish with some Viking mixed and since I am also and artist and love wood working I plan on incorporating some nice design elements such as dragonhead nocks and celtic/viking inspired knotwork.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45082161/mollegabet-1-Dec2012.jpg

Comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 06:58:44 pm by HighlandRanger »

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: Planning My First Bow (Mollegabet style)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 03:06:14 pm »
I would advise not making a molle as your first bow. A lot of stress in a short area equals big headache. I would start with a pyramid style, especially if your going to use red oak. I would not use red oak for a molle, (hickory is a lot better) I tried the exactly same thing for my first bow and I lifted splinters everywhere. But that's just  my experience, everyones first is always different.  Good luck

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 03:11:23 pm »
If your boards are at least 76" then you can still use that one for you,but you'll have to adjust your dimensions. I'm sure the dimensions you posted will be plenty for a 13 year old tho. Because a 1x2 is actually 3/4"x1.5" in most big box stores. And that's all ill say for now.....because...

Honestly that's attempting too much for your first. Make a simple bend in the handle bow and learn how to tiller. Then once you have tillered a few and have a much better understanding of things,then go ahead and try the Molly's with the osage. Osage and Molly's go real well together if made right.

Offline HighlandRanger

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 03:22:52 pm »
So perhaps I should rethink and get a couple of 1x3x6 boards?

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 03:44:30 pm »
Keep the boards you have just try a different style. Get used to tillering because god knows it will test your patiences. Try for a pyramid, you can get a nice 45# bow out of it, and you can hunt with it. The RO pyramid one I made is my favorite bow.  Or you can make a flat bow with it too. 

Offline HighlandRanger

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 03:57:12 pm »
Do you have a good example of dimensions for a pyramid that would work with the boards I have?

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 04:16:34 pm »
6" handle. 2" at the fades with a straight taper to 1/2" tips.  Limb thickness should start at a little more than 1/2" thick.  This is very simple style to make and tillering is very easy since you remove wood for the side not just the belly.

Offline HighlandRanger

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 04:21:15 pm »
Thanks, I'll give it a go.  :D

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 04:23:03 pm »
the dimension's here will work for you, you can do a more traditional build but the measurements are still good, i've built a ton of bows just like this and they are sweet shooters, Bubhttp://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,35312.0.html
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline HighlandRanger

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 06:15:03 pm »
OK, revised my design. I'll save the molle for the Osage Orange. Here is the dimension drawing for the pyramid style bow based on suggestions here. I really like the rounded grip that bubby has on his.

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 06:20:14 pm »
that will work but i'd go a max 68" ttt, but as it's your fist run with it, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline HighlandRanger

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 06:39:48 pm »
OK 68" TTT, will that still get me 50# at around 27"?

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
Re: Planning My First Bow (Mollegabet style, wait no now Pyramid Style)
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 07:04:38 pm »
Lot of good resources for building your first (or 50th) bow can be found at Jawges website.  http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/archer.html 

Specifcally, for a board bow, check out this link : http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/boardbowbuildalong.html

Those dimensions can easily yield 50# at 27" if the board is in good shape. 

Good luck,

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline HighlandRanger

Re: Planning My First Bow (Mollegabet style, wait no now Pyramid Style)
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 07:29:17 pm »
Thanks!