Author Topic: Thar she blows!!!!!!  (Read 1723 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Thar she blows!!!!!!
« on: December 13, 2012, 02:35:18 pm »
Well that's the berries......LOL.My previous post of removing propeller twist from a sinewd cedar bow limb had what I mentioned some hairline cracks intermittently along the side of the bow limb.I super glued them but it was'nt enough.Tiller was very good.It was bending nice and evenly out to 22"@45# when KAPOW!!!! she blew apart in a manner that I'm very glad I was'nt in the way.It delaminated just below the sinew pulling wood with it all along clean through the billeted handle to the wraps up by the tips.At least I know my sizing and sinew job was good.......LOL.Those billets were from the trunk of a large cedar tree.Clean as a whistle.No knots.As I was pulling and I slowly eased up there too getting it used to bending I noticed the rate of poundage increase every two inches was only 3 pounds.Then KAPOW!!!!!!!!
Well I've got a couple of wiggled centershot 64" hickorys roughed out here that are dry.Both from the same tree.They look identical almost really.Both have that furrowed rough back I like to play with as far as staining etc.
Some day I'll get one of those light in the hand snappy quick sinewed cedars' here.....LOL.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

blackhawk

Re: Thar she blows!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 02:42:53 pm »
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Sorry ed.  :-[ but you know playing with wood is like playing with fire

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 03:30:06 pm »
Darn inferior bow wood.[grumble....grumble...grumble]Well if ya ain't breakin you ain't makin as they say.Had a bad suspicion it was going to happen.When wood starts losing draw weight or not gaining like it should it's on the verge of breaking.
BowEd
Ed

Offline JonW

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 03:58:21 pm »
Sorry about that Ed. Sounds alot like my only experience with ERC and sinew. I know people make it work but there are other things to waste my time on.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 04:15:07 pm »
Oh I ain't givin up at all yet Jon and if I had some more of it dry I would get after it.A friend of mine is going to sinew a hedge 58" long with some levers on it like my bows so I've got this really nice rock maple stave I might just sinew that and put horn on the belly like I did a hickory a while back.Then get to my hickorys later as that cures.Winter can be a long haul here.Mean while I'll keep a lookin at those cedar trees for limbs that will make bows.It's Iowa cedar.If that makes a diff I don't know.The rings are rather large I think but I could be thinking wrong.I'd like some real tight ringed stuff myself.
BowEd
Ed