Author Topic: Is there a way???  (Read 1836 times)

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

Is there a way???
« on: August 14, 2012, 05:17:30 am »
Hey guys-
    It has been some time but I am currently working on an osage take down self bow. Tonight I thinned the limbs down to a thickness I thought woud be on the money with. Well needless to say I believe I took a little to much off. Its my first time really using any character stave and these billets have some waves and bumps far above my level right now. So right now I am getting the limbs to bend evenly because of the waves and dives in the limbs. Once I get them to floor tiller status with everything can I add sinew, rawhide, or linen backing to beef up the poundage a little?

Thanks for the advice guys... I will add some pictures tomorrow. I still had some slight prop twist in the limbs so it is back in the caul cooling after clamping it up once again.

Justin

Here is a picture of the limbs where I left off last year... at this point they are around 3/4 inch thick
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 05:20:52 am by bowhntineverythingnh03743 »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Is there a way???
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 06:36:43 am »
Sinew will pick it up some,rawhide/linen won't help in weight.You can also pike
it some if you have enough length. I always try when floor tillering to be sure and leave plenty of weight,some seem to try and get them to close before they start tillering and if you have any problems in the tiller you will miss weight ,especially in a character stave. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 07:39:55 am »
Thanks Pappy... it has been very different trying to use character staves and will take what I learn from this into the next one. I will attempt to pick up some sinew to pick it up some. I am hoping to finish this bow out at around 45#... if not there is always the next one!!!

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 08:17:19 am »
If it's 3/4 inch thick now why do you think you are going to come in underweight? 3/4 inch is plenty thick!!

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 11:11:59 am »
Get after it with a tillering gizmo and see what comes of it. There's always a way...