Author Topic: Indian plum  (Read 4119 times)

Offline danlaw

Indian plum
« on: August 11, 2012, 02:48:55 am »
Anybody try Indian Plum? I cut a stave the other day - thought I'd give it a try as I have good luck with ornamental plum. Seems a bit light though.

Offline Weylin

Re: Indian plum
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 04:47:53 am »
Heard it's good for arrows...  :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 11:50:51 am »
Most of the fruiting trees will make good bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 07:01:24 pm »
Well, Pat, that's a very risky phrase in this situation. "Indian plum" is not a plum you would eat...it's just a (confusing) vernacular name. So what is a fruiting tree? Most trees will produce fruits, but not fruits you would find near the vegetables in the supermarket.

Indian plum, Oemleria cerasiformis, is better known as Osoberry, I guess. It's the sole member of the genus Oemleria. But it is also a member of the rose-family, as are many "fruit trees" such as cherry, apple and plum. So it is a somewhat related to those orchard fruit trees, but not very closely. It wouldn't be fair to state that all members of the rose-family would yield wood good for bows.

I think a search for "osoberry" should yield several good topics here. I remember the species being discussed not too long ago.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline danlaw

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 10:01:09 pm »
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. 

UserNameTaken

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 12:00:29 am »
Indian plum is often used to describe Prunus americana also, so it isn't necessarily osoberry. I have some osoberry drying, but I haven't tried to make a bow out of it yet. It's extremely dense stuff; I have a 6 foot piece about as big around as my little finger and it barely bends. Its stiffer than ocean spray, and I worry about it being brittle, though I don't really have a reason to think that it is.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 12:34:09 am »
DarkSoul, this is a good example for the use of botanical names rather than common names. I was assuming he was talking about Prunus americana, a wild native plum.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Weylin

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 01:23:09 am »
My comment about Indian plum for arrows was referring to Oemleria cerasiformis.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 02:09:46 am »
I also thought you were referring to wild plum. That makes a god bow, good arrows and good little plums. Never tried osoberry.

Offline danlaw

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 02:26:37 am »
Hmmm. I am pretty sure what I have is Darksoul's Osoberry, but it is not nearly as dense as Oceanspray. I was actually a little worried that it was a light-weight wood (thus the post), but it looks as if it will turn out just fine. I hope so as it is fairly plentiful (and grows straight). I think I'll have to go back and give it another 'hefting' to compare. Thanks guys. 

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 03:09:40 pm »
Then I believe you have the wrong stuff Osoberry is pretty heavy! :)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline danlaw

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 08:45:40 pm »
Yes, it is making me wonder....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 09:03:26 pm »
A picture is worth a thousand posts!  ;D

Offline danlaw

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 10:32:07 pm »
OK, 100% it is Osoberry. Grape sized yellow/redish fruits turning dark purple black plus a match on the leaves. Still, the piece I have is not as dense as ocean spray or vinemaple. Maybe this grove grew fast. The rings are certainly wider than any os and vm I have. I am going back to the spot tomorrow to make sure I took the right stuff (and to get a few more). I grabbed some wild cherry from the same spot - thought I'd give that a try too; my wife suggested I make something out of the cherry pitch (trunks are covered in it).

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 10:35:46 pm »
can you take pics of the bark?
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.