Author Topic: how about duck fat for bow finish and leather dressing?  (Read 2803 times)

Offline ozy clint

how about duck fat for bow finish and leather dressing?
« on: August 10, 2012, 06:25:49 am »
i've heard of bear grease but we don't have them here in australia. i cooked a roast duck the other week and have a jar full of fat. would this be suitable for a primtive finish? would i be better of with beeswax or linseed oil?
would the fat be okay for primitive leather dressing?

Offline Hrothgar

Re: how about duck fat for bow finish and leather dressing?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 09:41:22 am »
Clint, I doubt if there is much difference in various types of animal fats. Bear is a greasey meat, but so is duck. If your grease has been sitting in a jar for a couple days, then the lard or 'white' colored fat should have risen to the top of the jar and hardened by now. This is what you want to use. You should do a little research to find out the best ways to apply the fat--heating, number of coats, etc. It should water-proof the wood. You might need additional applications at some point down the road.
Good luck
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 10:02:30 am »
They use it to waterproof their feathers, so it should do a decent job on your bow. As always,try it on some scrap first. You may wind up with a greasy mess that never dries and starts to smell bad.Few tears would be shed by burning the scrap. You may have to mix or topcoat with wax. Let us know what you find out, and good luck to you!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 01:44:09 pm »
I rendered some Canada Goose fat one time.  The stuff would not harden even in cold temperatures.  I had it in a small container on my workbench and it spilled over one day and I didn't notice it.  It leaked out all over my workbench, did a wonderful job of waterproofing it.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline ozy clint

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 08:36:24 pm »
thanks guys. i'll do some testing.
the fat i have is all one colour in the jar. it's in the fridge and is still soft like margarine.